Fitting a second boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all! Haven't posted in this section yet! As a keen Diyer I find this forum very resourceful.
I have converted an old boiler into a solid fuel burner. As I have no problem getting scrap pieces of timber and other solid fuels I have decided that this could be the way to go to save money on oil!
However I still want to keep the oil burner I have (stanley oil fired cooker)
and add the other boiler to the system I have.
The cuurent system has been installed approximately 15 years and has no motorised valves.
There are two pipes from the range (usual flow and return) and if I want to heat the radiators the timeclock switches on a pump (located at the side of the range itself.
I would like to link the second boiler into this system as simply as possible.
I do not want to change the cylinder in the hot-press to a twin coiled one if at all possible - it is the standard single coil type.
can I take the two pipes from the new boiler and T them into the existing stanley cooker?
Probably one would heat the other as a radiator but would this do it any harm?
Would I be better fitting a motorised valve to the system to stop any back flow?
Could the new solid fuel boiler be simply controlled by a pipe stat and pump (with the pipe stat bringing on the pump when the required temperature is reached)?
Would there be any issues with air-locking the system?
Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Should not be a proble#m but you would need to give the guys on tghis site some idea of where you are siting the second boiler and the pipe layout so that they can advise on connection points.

I have a system in my holiday cottage which includes both an open coal fire with back boiler and an oilfired boiler on the system. The open fire system has a separate pump which is controlled by a manual on/off switch and there is a oneway valve incorporated to prevent flow through the back boiler when only the oil boiler is on.

The hot water cylinder is single coiled.

The installation is 15+ years old and could be more efficiently controlled. No tank or room stat or motorised valves, something I'm getting someone to look at due to fuel prices.

Thanks Jobloggs for the reply-its very much appreciated.
That sounds like the type of system which I am working with.
The solid fuel burner which I am fitting is being sited in a small out-shot unto the house which is approximately 5 metres (of pipe work) from the current oil burner.
I was going to route the pipes from the solid fuel boiler straight up the wall in the roof-space then come back down the wall on the inside of the house - this will then take the 2 pipes right down beside the oil fired range.
If connecting in do I join the top pipe of the new boiler into the top pipe of the existing one and the bottom pipe of the new boiler to the bottom pipe of the existing one by simply T'ing into the system?
I take it the top outlet of a boiler is always flow and the bottom return?
Where doe's the flow back valve be located then?
Thanks again!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back