centraliser with two boilers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello,

i have oil fired central heating feeding only my central heating. I also have a solid fuel boiler that only seems to be heating my hot water. There is a thermostat on the hot water pipe leading to the tank. There is a pump on the pipe from the centraliser feeding the radiators.

For the winter I would like my solid fuel boiler to heat the radiators instead of the oil boiler. What do i need to do?

The system seems to be set up for a dual boiler heating system but obviously something further needs done. I only bought the house a few months ago.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
I know what a neutraliser is, just wasn't sure whether OP was talking about one of them or something else...

Sponsored Links
It is unlikely the solid fuel boiler has the ability of heat all the radiators in
the house. Hence why there is an oil boiler for more KW.

It's a glorified neutral point that an oversized pipe with holes will replicate.

Without knowing the output of the back boiler and not having a detailed schematic of what you already have then its difficult to advise.

Though as stated its probably undersized to handle rads.

thanks norcon.

i just want my solid fuel boiler to take some of the load of the oil fired boiler to keep my fuel bills down. i can get wood for nothing. i will try and send a diagram of the system.

thanks norcon.

i just want my solid fuel boiler to take some of the load of the oil fired boiler to keep my fuel bills down. i can get wood for nothing. i will try and send a diagram of the system.

You can't imagine the sacks and sacks of wood you will need to keep filling
the boiler with to provide any quantity of heat. It will be a constant job.
Best leave the oil boiler to its work while you site with your feet up watching the TV.

your best bet would be to swap out your hot water cylinder for a big thermal store. wouldnt be cheap though

One or two people have said the back boiler might not be up to the job. is this because of the size of of the water tank behind the fire or something else?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back