oil fired boilers

Sponsored Links
In theory it is, yes, but the biodiesel would need to be of a consistent high quality (not homebrew stuff), the burner would need readjusting to burn it correctly, you'd probably need a new fire valve as the standard Teddington ones aren't BD approved, and you may find any rubber seals would need upgrading as BD is quite aggressive and may attack the standard ones, causing leaks, or possibly even a complete new burner unit designed to run on BD.

If it is a Balanced Flue model with a flue terminal less than 2.0 metres from ground level then NO Building regulations prohibit the use of Class D fuels.

However if the flue terminal is greater than 2-0 metres from the ground you will need to consult the boiler/Burner manufacturer

a new Fuel pump, oil hoses, hydralic ram, and seals in the oil filter assembly will probably need to be replaced with BIO 10 compatible units

Speak to the Manufacturers for their advice

There is a lot of uptake for Bio fuels currenty ;)

In theory it is, yes, but the biodiesel would need to be of a consistent high quality (not homebrew stuff), the burner would need readjusting to burn it correctly, you'd probably need a new fire valve as the standard Teddington ones aren't BD approved, and you may find any rubber seals would need upgrading as BD is quite aggressive and may attack the standard ones, causing leaks, or possibly even a complete new burner unit designed to run on BD.

Thanks for the response,

it is just something i am toying with at the moment as it would be the cheapest option to get some form of heating in to my warehouse as i can't get permission to have a propane tank sited and the cost to have a gas line instaled to the property is astronomical.

but the site has a permit for a bonded diesel tank.

Sponsored Links
So why can't you use standard Kerosene heating oil? If it's a new install running biodiesel through the boiler will almost certainly invalidate the warranty as well unless you get one that the manufacturers approve for BD, but you might struggle there

If it is a Balanced Flue model with a flue terminal less than 2.0 metres from ground level then NO Building regulations prohibit the use of Class D fuels.

However if the flue terminal is greater than 2-0 metres from the ground you will need to consult the boiler/Burner manufacturer
it will be mounted on the second story of the building and then the flue will be running up the old chimney so as long as i get a none balanced unit thing should be fine.

a new Fuel pump, oil hoses, hydralic ram, and seals in the oil filter assembly will probably need to be replaced with BIO 10 compatible units

Speak to the Manufacturers for their advice

There is a lot of uptake for Bio fuels currenty ;)

i will have to take this on board when pricing thing up.

thanks

So why can't you use standard Kerosene heating oil? If it's a new install running biodiesel through the boiler will almost certainly invalidate the warranty as well unless you get one that the manufacturers approve for BD, but you might struggle there

Never even thought of kerosene as i will be geting the bio for free as our parent company manufacture it on a commercial scale hence the bounded storage tank in the yard already lol

What sort of appliance are you looking for? If it is a largish space heater it may already be designed for class d oil, and if new, it may be fitted with bio compatible items. Check with the manufacturer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back