Oil gloss? Out.

Sponsored Links
Tried out some johnstones WB on some doors last week for a client, went back today to start wallpapering and have been asked to paint them again as they were, in OB satinwood. :!: :(

I must admit the finished look on WB is not up to scratch and I used a fine filament brush. It just looks like Satin emulsion !!

Will try out the Sikkens on the next job to see if its any better.

Have been around OB paints for a very long time so I got used to the smell a long time ago. When I work, I like a window or two open anyway.

Tried out some johnstones WB on some doors last week for a client, went back today to start wallpapering and have been asked to paint them again as they were, in OB satinwood. :!: :(

I must admit the finished look on WB is not up to scratch and I used a fine filament brush. It just looks like Satin emulsion !!

Will try out the Sikkens on the next job to see if its any better.

Have been around OB paints for a very long time so I got used to the smell a long time ago. When I work, I like a window or two open anyway.

You can improve the finish massively by using some Floetrol.

http://www.owatroldirect.co.uk/item.php?stock=14

OB is still better though IMO

Thanks for the link to the Floetrol opps.
I think it is about time I ordered some and gave it a try. Some sample stuff I was given at one of the shows is nearly all gone now anyway.

Sponsored Links
There is no water based gloss that gives and equal or superior finish to oil based at the moment IMHO.

The benefits have to be weighed up to what is preferred by the customer i.e a smoother, higher gloss finish or a longer lasting white. As the oil has been yellowing at a ludicrously short amount of time the benefits were falling down on the side of a longer lasting white over the smoother, higher gloss finish, even though as mentioned with the addition of floetrol the w/b did get a relatively good finish it still could not rival the o/b IMHO.

Lets hope the new blue lid dulux starts to tip the balance back and maybe chose the finish over longer lasting white of the w/b glosses. If it stays whiter for a decent length of time and not turn to looking like cream after 3 months then it is definitely worth a bash!

I guess you are right vibro, I have been going back to the Dulux with the blue lids since it was supposed to have been sorted, I do like the look and feel of the OB paints when I work with them including its many colours, not just the whites.

My thoughts are though, that in time, all OB paints will be removed from sale except under licence to special users. Only then will the products perform better than they do now.

In my experience only the oldies like the look of woodwork dipped in plastic - which is what OB gloss is. It looks too 1980s for my likes. WB Satinwood is the look of the future.

In my experience only the oldies like the look of woodwork dipped in plastic - which is what OB gloss is. It looks too 1980s for my likes. WB Satinwood is the look of the future.

Both high gloss and satinwood have their place - it depends on the building.

I would not put high gloss on woodwork in my own home- prefer the softer finish of satinwood. It creates a calmer feel, somehow.

I actually like the look of oil high gloss. I live in a Victorian terrace and think it looks better than a satin or eggshell finish. Just about to repaint my bathroom and will be trying out the new formula dulux oil gloss for this. Hoping it stays white for a while but as its small no big issue in redoing in 6 months time I suppose.

I actually like the look of oil high gloss. I live in a Victorian terrace and think it looks better than a satin or eggshell finish. Just about to repaint my bathroom and will be trying out the new formula dulux oil gloss for this. Hoping it stays white for a while but as its small no big issue in redoing in 6 months time I suppose.

Make sure you come back and tell us how it lasts.

I had the yellowing problem with Dulux Once OB and complained got a great apology and 10 Litres of Trade Diamond Matt Imulsion, 5 Litres of Trade undercoat and 5 litres of Trade Gloss (blue lid). If it yellows again I will simply complain again but I have been assured Dulux have fixed the problem.

With regards SW or Gloss finish it is obvious personal preference, in our home mose of the walls are nutral colours and like how Gloss contrasts against this. Its not really a debate of which is better its what someone likes.

With regards to WB gloss, I find the finish just isnt as good as OB for obvious reasons. WB is obviously alot less hasstle when cleaning up afterwards or drying times but I will stick to OB gloss. I dont really think it looks like plastic coated wood though?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back