A definitive answer please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If someone asked you to paint a hall/stairs/landing would you use:

Water based gloss/satin
Oil based gloss/satin,
Or, Crown solo gloss/satin?

I'll use Johnstones coverplus for the walls - but what about the white woodwork?

No-one seems able to make their minds up what to recommend - so you guide me.

I'm not a full time decorator so what would you recommend?

Sponsored Links
Thought you're a crown solo man?

There is no definitive answer.

Gloss - oil based sikkens on top of BL primer u/c or mythic primer or if you believe dulux use the new blue lid

Satin - Sikkens BL satura end of

Johnstones aqua enamel is good and gives a very very good solid 'oil' look to the finish, its fine over architraves and skirting but hard to apply over broad areas without looking ropey, MDF vacuum moulded 'patterned' doors are fine but flush doors or window sills to my mind the ropey finish wont do.

My recommended system for longevity and long periods between re-dec would be the BL satura or aqua enamel if you dont mind a few brush marks

For a client that re-decs fairly regularly i'd go sikkens oil gloss or sikkens BL satura. The satura in both scenarios because its so good there is absolutely no need to apply oil based satin any more except on exterior apps.

I have found a supplier for sikkens BL gloss but have yet to try it, if its as good as the BL satin and u/c then complete WB systems through all finishes should be achievable to a high standard and would be the way forward although Sikkens products are pricey but you pay for what you get.

I think covaplus is a good choice as paints in HSL's should be durable, i also like the little green ultimatt now called intellimatt i think.

Be interesting what others think

I will be avoiding anything white and oil-based until the manufacturers can guarantee it won't yellow. I'm sure dcdec's recommendations are very reliable (I've heard good things about the Sikkens and the Mythic, too, although not used them yet).

FWIW my winning combination is:

Berger w/b primer/undercoat £15.95 for 2.5 litres (made by Crown). Wonderfully creamy and smooth, dries nice and flat in 30 mins, behaves exactly as you want an undercoat to behave...I've been using this for years. I occasionally try other brands, but always come back to it.

Then, on top, either Johnstone's w/b acrylic satinwood (£25 for 2.5 litres) OR (for nuclear option) Dulux Diamond Trade w/b Satinwood (similar price). The Jonnos gives a slighter softer finish (visually) and is nonetheless very durable. Both dry within a couple of hours BUT need a decent length of time to cure so keep dogs and kids off them for a couple of weeks for best results.

I am using johnstones wb for white and have started using coverstain as my main primer/undercoat

Using more and more Little Greene now though especially on walls. I seem to get a hell of a lot of m2 out of a tin

Sponsored Links
If I ever choose between Gloss or Satinwood. I'm always going to say Satinwood. Manufacture, alas, I tend to go Dulux - but that's because I don't have a great choice of other suppliers at hand locally.

I think satinwood is more subtle and less in-your-face. I'm pretty sure it seems to hold it's colour longer.

If you can REALLY be bothered... sand between coats and put two coats on. If I'm doing a quick refresh on a rental you can get away with a sand and a single coat. As they are my own refurbs I get away with it, not sure what a 'customer' would want - or if they would actually stipulate within their requirements they wanted two coats.

I did nearly fire myself last week by using a cheap-o satinwood... Oh it was such poor coverage... I kicked myself for saving a couple of notes only having to put a second coat on.

Whether or not you can 'get away with' a quick sand and one coat depends on

(i) the original state of the woodwork to be painted
(ii) whether the topcoat is self-undercoating or not
(iii) how professional a finish you are aiming for

Only a diy'er, but can vouch for the Sikkens BL primer and Satura. The dogs danglies in my opinion.

I think that the customer has to make up there mind on what they want given the advice they receive. For example oil based gloss gives a far Superior finish but does yellow pretty quickly. Water based gloss does not yellow but does not have the same finish as the oil.

For water based gloss I tend to use johnstones aqua but for oil I will lean towards crown solo. For normal vinyl matt I have started to use glidden as for price and finish I find it good value and a decent finish!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back