New build painting advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We moved into a new Taylor Wimpey home about 3 years ago and a few months ago we figured we should make a start on decorating the place......Magnoliaitis had started to set in :(

I started in the downstairs toilet and painted the walls with a nice vinyl matt which looks great. I bought a cheap satin white for the skirtings and door etc.
A few days later and we noticed the white wood was not so white.
Figuring it was because I bought cheap I purchased dulux trade satin and painted again. One week later and everything is yellowy/creamy again :(
I eventually found out that TW use water based satin and with me adding oil based satin on top it was always going to end one way.

So I have now been informed if I had undercoated first then applied my oil based satin it would have worked, is that correct?

We are planning to decorate a bedroom next and I would rather go back to a gloss finish. I'm thinking undercoat first then apply a gloss top coat and I'll be fine? However someone told me you can buy water based white gloss paint which can be applied straight over the water based satin. Would this work?

Sorry for the noob questions but would appreciate your advice.

Sponsored Links
The yellowing is probably due to the paint you bought.

If you can live with a nice satin finish, the following will look really good and last well.

Prep first; clean/degrease + light abrasion to remove (any) old brush marks.

Use this as an 'undercoat' (it is actually a primer that promotes adhesion and is excellent).

(Practical Spread Rate 10m2/Litre) - put it on thin, it goes a long, long way.

http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/z/ZINBE/

Then 2 top coats of this with a light de-nib in between coats (Coverage Approx: 10 - 12 m2/Litre)

http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/s/SIKRBLS/

Couple of these to de-nib, P360:

http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/m/MIRKA_MIRLON_TOTAL_FINISHING_PADS_115_X_230MM/

Use a quality synthetic brush (i.e. Purdey or Picasso) which is dampened with water (not soaking) before you start. Get the paint on quite quickly and then lay it off in the direction of grain once or twice. Don't keep going back over it with the brush.

Leave the 123 overnight if possible and apply the first top coat the next day. Don't apply the top coats on a hot day imo and allow 6 hours in between top coats.

Clean the brush every 30 minutes or so if doing a lot of top coating in one day.

The small increase you pay for a quality paint is nothing when you consider: a) the time/labour involved, and b) the above is non-yellowing.

GL and HTH.

Good advice from "oldschool". However as i read it, you're looking to go gloss, and non yellowing gloss at that. BL satura is water based satin (not gloss) I use buckets of the stuff and it's excellent as a 3 coat w/b satin system. I would go for johnstones aqua w/b gloss over the zinsser 123 or consider mythic gloss.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back