Oil, HardWax or Varnish on new American Oak flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I've just had new American Oak flooring fitted in a retail shop and my husband and I are going round and round in the discussion of what to use to finish it.

Being a retail shop, it needs to be hard-wearing, non-slippery, and preferably have the smallest darkening effect, in that we like the lightest possible "look" of the wood.

I'm voting "varnish", and the PV67 of Sadolin's looks a good option. I've used Sadolin products at home and have been pleased with it. Does anyone here have experience with it? Would it be a suitable finish for a retail shop? Does it darken the wood greatly?

My husband is voting "oil" (don't ask me what kind, he just gets a grumpy face now when I bring up the topic) based on the idea that when it starts to look worn or dirty it can just be sanded and re-oiled. He insists the varnished finish, once showing wear, will be impossible to re-finish.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. I'd like to do the application myself, for the obviously savings in cost, but I also want it done "right" and does that require a professional to do?

Thanks in advance!
Linda

Sponsored Links
I'm voting with your husband ;) For all the reasons he mentions, plus your floor will show its character better and become more beautiful over time (when properly maintained).

Others no doubt will come along and vote with you for varnish ;)

Such is life - personal (professional) preferences

Oh fine, now grumpy face will be replaced by smug face :D

Thank you for your reply!

Regarding an oil finish, what should I look for in a product? Are there any hints, tips, advice you may have on the different types/brands and method of application?

Sponsored Links
There are many brands out there, all doing the same thing: protection your wooden floor and making it more beautiful over time.

The main thing is to apply which ever brand you end up with (we can highly recommend both Blanchon and Saicos Premium HardWaxOil - in 4 sheens and quick drying) apply it as thin as possible and do apply the second coat within 36 - 48 hours.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back