oil in water but no water in oil?help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ive just brought a van off ebay.it vauxhall astra 1.7td its smoking heavly and i have found trace of oil in water header but there is no water in the oil,it dose seem to still drive fine.can anyone help please???

Sponsored Links
It is probably the oil cooler, the oil pressure in the cooler is higher than the coolant pressure at that point only which is why oil passes into the water not the other way round.

You are going to need to flush the coolant system out a number of times to get rid of the oil contamination.

What colour smoke is it? If it is black then you are running rich if it is blue then it is burning oil so it might not be the cooler.

well it seems more of a grey white smoke?but sometimes it dose look a little blue,would this be safe to drive to a garage do u think?on the ebay add the guy said he was told it could be the fuel pump needs adjustment.dose that seem rite?

White smoke is generally caused by either moisture in the combustion chamber or lack of fuel. Therefore a problem with the pump is plausable.

It could also mean a problem with the head gasket or a cracked head. I'm not sure the heads on your engine take too kindly to being skimmed so lets hope its not that.

Another possible explanation is the injector seals are leaking, this could cause the oil in water and could also cause the white smoke as it will cause compression issues in the engine.

I think you will be fine to drive it to a garage as long as it is not too far.

Sponsored Links
:rolleyes: um well i drove it back last night and it drove great all way back.around 20 miles.just worried it will cause further damage.is ther anyway i could check to find out if head gasket has gone?bare in mind iv never played with a diesel b4 but have a small mechanical knowledge.

You either need to do a sniff test or a compression test to check the condition of the head gasket. Do you have the tools to do either of those?

Given that you say the car is driving ok, and you haven't mentioned that you are loosing coolant or the car is overheating then I doubt very much the head gasket is the problem.

You are unlilkey to cause damage if the car is not overheating, it will just mean you will be getting more oil in the coolant which means it will be hard to get it out.

well i checked the water level first thing this morning and it was low so iv topped back up,just ben out to start van hopin 4 a mirical :eek: have noticed the smoke seems to go from white /grey and then black,then back to white /grey.i dont have any kit to do the sniff test or anythin else,its starting to sound likethe head gasket has gone dont u think?

I think if the head gasket had gone you would be seeing more problems, loss of power and the engine overheating. Also the smoke would stay white as coolant would be constantly leaking into the cylinders.

i see,well it did run a little warm last night but just wondered if the collent was low would this cause to get a little warmer than normal?looked at few other posts and most are saying oil cooler but not sure if mine has one??do u?its a 1998 1.7td ls

I don't for certain if yours does have a cooler or not, being that it is a van and is designed for lugging heavy stuff around I suspect it probably does have a cooler.

i have been to 2 different garages today but both had said different things?? :confused: iv also found out that it has an oil cooler and 2 leaking injectors.could this b the prob or do i run the risk and stick new gasket on as well

Is it the injector sleaves that are leaking? If so then yes this will be the lilkely cause of your problems.

Unless one of the garages has confirmed the head gasket to be faulty I wouldn't get it changed, it's a lot of work and the head on that enigne can't be skimmed, if it warps during removal or installation then you need a new head, not worth the risk if it isn't confirmed to be faulty. Unless the garage needs to remove it to change the injectors but I doubt it.

Sorry I don't know enough about that engine to give a definitive answer.

ok so to recap,the leaking injectors which i belive is the sleeve will cause the high revs on own,and oil in the water?but wot do u think would cause the white smoke,its using water somewhere but no obvious leaks,im unsure about doin gasket for the reasons uv already stated,and iv also noticed that the thermostate has been removed,would this be anything to do with probs?sorry to keep asking questions just dont want to be spending money where not needed,limited funds :(

The leaking sleeves will cause the white smoke as well as they will let coolant into the combustion chamber.

By not having a thermostat the coolant will circulate through the radiator all the time therefore the engine will take a lot longer to reach operating temperature. If the thermostat has been removed what has been put in its place to stop coolant leaking everywhere? Or are we talking about a temp sensor?

:rolleyes: sorry yeh the temp sensor has been removed,well thanks very much for ur help u just may have saved me a small fortune, :D

Sponsored Links
Back