oil tankers - where are the controls?

Sponsored Links
Seems like no one here has looked :( . I thought that the pipe screwed on as I've seen pictures like that. And I've heard that the driver dials in the amount.

But what I don't understand is what happens to all the oil in the huge hose pipe. It must have either a trigger nozzle or there must be a spring loaded valve in the line at the end so that when nothing is being pushed through the hose the oil in there does all run out. Otherwise the driver would spill loads of oil at each delivery.

Sponsored Links
The nozzle has a lever, if you imagine the 3 oclock posistion is on and 12 o clock is off, anything in between and you can vary the flow as some boats tanks are bad for blowback if the flow is to quick and the air cannot escape fast enough.

Always thought the lever should be the other way round i.e. 3 oclock would be at 90 dgrees to the delivery hose therefore no flow like a ball valve.

Driver always reminds you to shut the valve before removal from fill pipe to prevent fuel in hose running out.

bowsers/tankers have the facility to suck, ahem :rolleyes: so i imagine they suck at the end when its gonna get rolled up.
:p
anyway, this question is now giving me sleepless nights. :eek:

Sucking wouldn't work. Delivery 1000l, 990l into tank, 10l still in hose. Suck back 10l after delivery. But I suppose they could know the capacity of the hose and allow for that, i.e. deliver 1010l

And I do have a hobby - it's called installing my new oil tank and oil CH :D

Just to finish off this my oil was delivered today and I had a look at how.

The amount was programmed in which cut off the oil at when done. At the end of the hose was a nozzle like a L. This dropped into the 2in filler pipe so probably 1.5in diameter. At the back of the L was a tap, perhaps a ball valve since it was only a 90deg throw from off to on.

At the end of the delivery this tap was shut off and the L nozzle turned around to point the nozzle up into the air so no drips were spilt. It looked to me like the bit of the nozzle that went into the filler pipe was screwed on so I think for remote fill pipes (i.e. where the fill pipe is at the front of the house and the tank at the back) the driver removes that bit and couples the remainder of the nozzle to the fill pipe.

Mmmm interesting.... sure I read something like that elsewhere :LOL:

Yep I am one of these elite drivers :LOL:

You either screw onto the tank fitting or use a nozzle for open topped tanks. Then if a pre ordered amount, set the meter or if a fill up is required set the meter for more than the tank will hold and watch the tank fill and use the valve on the delivery gun to stop delivery when full.

Then customer brings out a cuppa with a biccy and a good cash tip, thanks driver for not spilling oil, standing on plants, breaking fence or running over dog. Driver bids a cheery farewell and drives off to the next mug, I mean customer ;)

BTW the above WAS a joke :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back