oil tankers - where are the controls?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Can somebody tell me on the oil tanker that delivers your heating where are the controls? According to standards you are either meant to be able to see the tank overflow or have a bund.

So if the driver just connects up the hose then walks back to the tanker to turn it on/off he would be some distance away and in a lot of cases not in line of sight (oil tanks are usually around the back and there may not be rear access).

Or does the deliver hose have a trigger like at the petrol station?

I'm just going on to oil so I never looked closely at how this is done.

TIA

Sponsored Links
I don't know about a trigger, but the pipes I have seen are usually terminated in a screw fitting. On new installations with remote readout in the house the driver can have a receiver which can lock on to the tank transmitter so he can recieve the contents from the lorry. This gadget must set the transmitter into another mode as they normally only update once an hour or so.

I have one these watchman. I've been to their web site and found the bit of kit you described. It's called fullstop and as you say changes the update, from once per hour to once per second. So I guess I meet the or "overfill alarm provided" as long as the driver has a fullstop.

I didn't think that they filled with a petrol station type nozzle as all the pictures seem to show a screwed fitting, as you described. They must an inline valve near the delivery end though otherwise you could get spillage as the pipe is run out or wound back onto the tanker. I read somewhere that they preset the delivery amount so perhaps they do that, run out the pipe, connect it up, turn on the valve and they wait for the delivery to stop.

Sponsored Links
Where I used to work we had our own petrol & diesel. The petrol was delivered by gravity through large bore pipes with screw fittings, the diesel was pumped through a smaller diameter hose with a petrol pump type trigger, think it is the same for small domestic oil.

Jason

diesel_nozzles.gif

like this

These are nozzels for when it comes out of a tank, not when the tank is being filled.

Jason

2a46mbarrelreviewbg_2.jpg

This is the nozzle for what comes out of a tank. I usually fill my tank using on of breezers nozzles. :D

:LOL:
tomorrow, on my travels, if i see a tanker, im gonna ask the fkkn driver :p
:rolleyes:

Used to make "fill pipes" for oil storage tanks, this came about after a delivery driver fell whilst on top of the tank and very sadly died.

The oil companies then said right if your tank is xfeet high you need a pipe. This consisted of a 2" line going in the top of the tank and terminating approx 3' above ground level with a 2"gate valve and a brass cap on chain to stop ingress of dirt and any leakage on the valve. Mainly used on farms where gravity was used to fill the machinery.The hose screwed direct onto the 2" fitting.

As for how do they know when to stop pumping, current job entails a lot of work on boats (marine engineer)so if you ask for 3000l they dial 3000 into ther pump and it will deliver 3000l. There delivery nozzle is 2" female and it will screw direct onto a 2" fill pipe or they can screw on various other pipes to go into your fill pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back