oilboiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have run out of oil for my boiler delivery not coming till monday what other fuel can i use that will not harm the boiler as it is verry cold

Sponsored Links
It could be a lot more expensive but I wonder if standard diesel would work very well.

Perhaps some of those who work in country areas can advise?

Farmers can use a heavy oil for their tractors which are not subject to tax and might sell you some. But again we need someone who can advise just what effect that would have on the boiler operation.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Wouldn't advise using diesel, whether red or otherwise, in an oil fired boiler, whether as a stop-gap or not. It won't burn as cleanly as kerosene, which could emit dangerous levels of CO, and could potentially foul components.

As an addition, and to answer your original post, you could use blue paraffin.

Even in London paraffin is virtually unobtainable now.

But its so much lighter than heating oil, are you sure its better than diesel which seems much closer to the viscosity of heating oil. ( 35 sec ? )

Why blue rather than pink? I thought the colours were just manufacturer's gimmicks?

Putting the question the other way round, how does a diesel merc run on heating oil? Perhaps as a 50-50 mix?

I seem to remember as a student with a very old ( side valve engined ) car I could extend the cost/mpg by adding about 35% paraffin to the petrol.

Tony

Pink or blue could be used, it is just a gimmick. As for how close the viscosities are, the reason 28 second oil is used in a boiler that requires it is because it should only use that type of oil. Using 35 second oil will make the boiler burn hotter, but also less cleanly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back