Oilstone sharpener

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I haven't seen mentioned anywhere what sort of oil is meant to be used with an oilstone. Also, is the sharpening technique any different from that using a wetstone? As much advice as you'd care to give wld be appreciated. :?:

Sponsored Links
Any light grade machine oil will do just fine - the stone won't complain!
The same technique is used for the whetstone, but you use water here.
My technique (anorak on) grind at 25 deg approx, then onto the oilstone.
Lift up the blade until the oil squishes out, then continue honing.
John :)

You've not said what you want to sharpen. Axe, knife, wood chisel, scissors etc.
As I understand it, a Whetstone is an abrasive stone used to sharpen tools. It can be used dry or with water or with oil. The ones with a finer grade are are used with oil and are usually called an oilstone.
There's plenty on Youtube showing you how it's done.

ive got a couple of these oil stones very good,but i also use a couple of the small dmt diamond stones(look like a flick knife type of thing)but i did buy from travis perkins a combination (diamond block)made by faithful tools for a tenner,and i must admit its a dam fine thing to have.

Sponsored Links
I've always used a penetrating oil such as 3 in 1, or Youngs .303

I believe they have paraffin added to them to make them thinner.

I use a mix of turpentine with just enough oil in it to turn it into the colour of urine on my oilstone.Once or twice I've had to stop a labourer chucking away " this bottle of p***" but I find that it works well and the stone remains cleaner than using just oil. I always sharpen at the same angle as the chisel is ground to, non of this honing angle lark.
For finer sharpening I use a waterstone. It's a fine grey stone and really puts a cracking edge on but you can almost watch the stone ware away.
I also have diamond and carbo stones for sharpening axes and billhooks and the like, and for the actual grinding I find that a belt sander is a excellent tool for the job.

I use a mix of turpentine with just enough oil in it to turn it into the colour of urine on my oilstone.
you change the amount of turps depending on the state of your kidneys?

I try to achieve the colour of early autumn urine i.e. not as clear as your mid winter and not as dark as a mid summer wazz :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back