Sharpening Wood Chisels with an oilstone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was tought many years ago how to sharpen chisels in woodworking at school and also whilst working for a joiner. I've got myself an oilstone to try and practise myself back into being able to do it but i'm not sure what type of oil to use on the stone? Been looking on the internet and one video on youtube suggested using Johnsons Baby oil?? Is this advisable?? Do i need a specific type of oil or just anything that will lubricate the stone.

Also, before first use, do i need to soak the stone in the oil or just apply plenty to the surface before sharpening?

Any help greatly recieved!

Sponsored Links
I usually use a mixture of light lubricating oil and white spirit, kept in a plastic bottle with a dispensing spout; I did succumb to a bottle of honing oil from White Lightning a while ago, and it seems to do just as good a job as my home-brew.

The function of the oil is to help remove the tiny metal particles the stone is cutting off. It's important to use a non-drying oil. Anything which dries or becomes sticky will clog the stone and prevent it from cutting.

Although water stone need to be soaked before use, I don't know of any benefit from soaking an oilstone in oil. Over time, of course, they get quite oily as they are used.

i keep mine in a box screwed to the bench at work,it basically over the years has been immersed in oil,ive owned it over 15 years and i use engine oil.but if im doing a lot of honing when ive finished i will wipe up the oil and metal particles.

Sponsored Links
Andrew - there are loads of different recipes for lubricating oilstones and just about every woodworker has their favourite. Is the stone natural (Arkansas, Turkey, Washita for example) or artificial stone (Aloxite, India, Carborundum for example). Some natural stones should be lubed with water, others with 'oil', artificial stones are usually done with 'oil'. Its likely that your stone is an artifical (most common) {India is brown in colour, Carborundum blueygrey} so you choice is a propriety honing oil or one you make-up yourself. Plenty of suggestions have already been posted and all would work well; my own favourite is 50% paraffin 50% motor oil mix kept in an 'old fashioned' conical oil can (press the bottom and the juice drips from the brass spout - nice!) but a small Fairy Liquid bottle would do just as well.

Having said all that it has been known for a big gob of spit to be used 'on site' or in an emergency.

A final tip - once you've got your keen edge on the blade strop it across the palm of your hand (or use a leather strop) to burnish the edge.

Cheers everyone!

Thanks for the advice syptoms - like the old fashioned oil can idea - if nothing else i'll look good! Think my grandad has some so might try and cadge one off him. Think i'll give the old saliva method a miss. I'm at work at the mo and as my oilstone is new i've not looked at it that much but from memory its the blue/grey one you described. Think i'll have a go at some of the ideas (receipe's) suggested and see which suits me!! Now you've mentioned it - i recall the hand 'stropping' from the carpenter i worked with - thanks!!

I no longer use oil stones gone over the diamond stones. Butwhen I did and had a new stone I would soak it in a bath of white spirit and 3 in 1 for twenty four hours so the stone was completely saturated before use. Other wise when applying oil to a new stone it would disappear in a instant in to the stone.

If you are not storing the stone when not in use in a oil stone box then wrap it in a oily rag one to keep it clean and secondly to keep it moist.

An oilstone that is bunged up with dried oil can be cleaned by steeping it in paraffin.
A worn oilstone can be rubbed flat on a paving stone, using a handful of sand.

Not sure I would bother myself, as they aren't that expensive to replace, but it can be done

You might want to consider water stones as an alternative. They use water (obviously..) rather than oil. They cut a lot faster, but wear out a little faster and cost more. They also come in very fine grades, and so replace strops or polishers.

If you are going to be regularly sharpening chisels and planes it might be worth investigating.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back