Replacing back boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Glow Worm Majorca 2 back boiler has just reached its 30th birthday and is a credit to the Company and the tried and proven cast iron boiler.
However spares are unlikely and only recently was lucky enough to have a mate retired who had some radiants in his garage.
I was a Plumber for 20 years before going into management and designing mainly Industrial type heating systems both steam and oil.
Have been retired for 10 years so am out of touch with current regulations and practise, but have heard that back boilers are discouraged and a Plumber was telling me they have to use a points system before they install, to ascertain if this can be done.
Have searched the internet and found the site which shows the forms etc but also find I can still buy a Baxi back boiler/gas fire easily.
Would you advise on the situation as I have no intention of replacing with other than a back boiler for several reasons.
Would one of you experts give me the facts on fitting a new one and could a Plumber refuse to install this type.
Does it mean I would have to get my tools out and fit it myself?. Hope not…
Thanks for any advice in this particular area.

Sponsored Links
Wemyss,

I'm not a plumber, but the regulations require you to fit a condensing boiler apart from in exceptional circumstances.

The assessment of what is meant by exceptional is done via a points system.

You get various points for the type of house e.g. semi-detached, terraced, if you have to move it's location (which you'll have to), if you have to create an extension flue > 2M (200 points) ( this is used to ensure that the plume created by the condensing boiler is kept away from your house and more importantly the neighbours), and if you have to create a soakaway (100 points). You need to assess every available location in your house and find the one with the lowest points. If the lowest scoring location is still above 1000 then you can stick with your back boiler.

If you fit a new boiler, then either your CORGI engineer or yourself will have to notify building control. You'll receive back a certificate, if authorised, and you'll need to keep this as well as the assessment forms that you used.

In order to fit a boiler, you need to be a competent person in order to fit that type of equipment. I'm not sure that being a plumber a long time ago would fit that criteria. After 2007, and in selected areas before 2007, a seller of a house will have to create a home information pack which will need to include the paperwork.

That's the law, how it's enforced and how much attention is paid to the law by surveyors and houseowners is questionable. I guess the government just hopes that over time the majority of people will comply.

Hope that helps

There is no restriction or relaxation which applies specifically to back boilers. There won't be any condensing back boilers, though.

Whether you or a corgi fits it, the same rules regarding gas safety and building regs "notification" apply.

A corgi will be able to notify the installation cheaply as he can "self certify", whereas you will have to get Building Control to inspect. The figure for so doing is generally quoted at £300 at the moment, though I haven't heard of any non-corgi, notifying anything.

if you fit it yourself :
1, it is illegal
2, your guarantee is void
3,why do you think the government have brought in this law?
4,your house insurance is invalid
5, when you come to sell your house you will have difficulties

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your comments. I have downloaded the relevant regulations regarding the points system today and understand them.
I see no difficulty in attaining the required points to enable me to replace with another backboiler.
wemyss.

dont forget that you can also plead your case to your local building authority and if you get their permission they will give you an excemption code:)

But is it in your best interests?

I have an Ideal Mexico, but if I had to replace it I would fit a top quality steamer.
Since it is in good health I shan't spend money replacing it, only if the decision is forced shall I so do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back