Replacing a “modern” back boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After some guidance on this one. Not sure I will have all the info that is required to make a definitive determination but let me share some background with you.

Around 8 years, we had an old back boiler that failed. The plumber at the time advocated that we replace it with a new and “modern” Baxi boiler. When I challenged this - based on my ignorance of it being an outdated boiler type - he explained that this is a new back boiler model and far more efficient than conventional boiler types. I think it’s a Baxi Bermuda. It’s definitely a Baxi. For completeness, we also have an unvented cylinder and expansion tank, etc. in the loft.

Over the 8 years it’s broken down a few times and having it repaired has always felt hit and miss. I feel that most plumbers, with no disrespect intended to anyone here, don’t understand back boilers or certainly not as well as conventional boilers. I’ve now replaced the condensing pump twice in 3 years. I am now being told that it could be a failing PCB board. The current issue is that the boiler starts after resetting, runs for 30 seconds and shuts down again.

The current plumber is constantly complaining that these boilers don’t have a flu and they’re not very good, etc. He is recommending that I have a Heat Only boiler situated next to the cylinder and “be done with it”. He reckons I will need one that is around 15 KW

I am after a reliable system and don’t want to repair this back boiler, only find further failures and lack of support in 6 months time.

Can I please have a steer in this. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Whilst these condensing back boilers were a great idea in theory, in practise they were riddled with problems and were pulled from the market after only a few years.

I'd tend to agree with the idea of replacing it, especially as it's proving to be unreliable. If it's possible to move your boiler to be near your cylinder, that gives you good options for moving to a priority hot water based system which will improve your heating's efficiency. Either a heat only or a system boiler would do in your case.

The heat exchanger that back boiler uses required care and attention when boiler serviced. That heat exchanger in boilers that are regular offering, hardly get proper service hence start to play up. For me the front plate and base the burner bolts onto, not to mention the case seals are a stock item

Fit a fire in front of a boiler, then let loose “heating engineers” to attend to this boiler, some wipper snappers flying around in van sign written proffesionalism, 24 hour service and bullet point services, outcome is a boiler that gives up due to multiple ailments.

Moral is get the boiler serviced as per the manual as a minimum requirement.

Is there a general move towards Condensing Boilers and hence, away from this type of back boiler?

Sponsored Links
What he is he on about does not have a flue ? it has a special twin wall flue going up the chimney if it doesnt have a flue it should be cut off .
If it has only been fitted 8 years then you got a boiler that had been laying about for years as they never sold that well and were eventually sold of at about a quarter of the original price

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back