LOFT Conversion help needed!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, first time poster so please go easy! I'm doing a loft conversion on my 3 bed end-terrace. I'm planning on doing most, if not all the work myself. I'm a handyman / joiner, but never undertaken anything this big myself before so am happy taking my time with the complicated aspects. The first and most difficult aspect of the whole conversion will be getting the floor in, which is what I'm having trouble with. I've attached the plans here. Both sides of the house are gable straight-up ( if you know what I mean) so there is a lot of head height. We're planning on getting a landing, bedroom, ensuite and couple of storage areas up there.

I plan to run the joists gable to gable to avoid steels having to be used using a crane and knocking holes in the sides of the house, as access is very difficult. However, after talking to the designer we realised the front wall between the front 2 bedrooms isn't load bearing. It's stud. So I do need 2 steels here, to go from the front of the house to the middle, then the middle across the doorways on the landing below. The steels are marked on the plans on the image in the bottom row in the middle by dashed lines. 1 steel is 2m, (fine,) 1 has to be 4m. Can I use 2x 2m steels bolted together with connecting plates? It will mean everything can be brought up the stairs internally. I don't think we could manage a 4m!!

Next is my biggest issue, in the loft I can see a wall plate (wood) on a course of bricks at the front of the house. There isn't enough room to get a steel on a padstone on this before it hits the tiles. There is a course of what looks like rough stone work in front of the wall plate. Can I assume it's safe to mortar a padstone to this? Or could I cut out the wall plate at that bit just enough to get a padstone in? Also, the double course of bricks in the middle of the house where the other ends of the steel will rest is also loose, crumbly etc. Whats the best course of action; just tidy them, up and remortar?

I've attached images of the inside of the loft for you to see. You can see 2 steel purlins are already in from a previous owner, but not on the other side. I don't see a reason to be concerned about that. I'm not sure what all the wooden struts are for. I'm assuming they were to pull the ceiling below up to the rafters; as they were all sagging really badly in those places when we moved in. When the new floor is in I plan to fix the existing ceiling joists to the new floor joists to prevent sag in those areas and remove those struts. Does this seem like good practise? All rafters will be doubled up with new timbers anyway for added strength.

So my main point at this initial stage, about to break the ice so to speak; is How the hell do I get these padstones on nice and securely, and can I split the 4m beam in 2? Oh by the way I plan on filling the web of the beam with a timber and running joists to it off joist hangers; opposite gable walls where they will hang off joist hangers off a timber trimmer joist.

Many thanks for any advice and pointers!
Liam

Attachments

• IMG_2068.JPG
    IMG_2068.JPG
    387.3 KB · Views: 527
  • IMG_2069.JPG
    IMG_2069.JPG
    232.6 KB · Views: 525
  • IMG_2070.JPG
    IMG_2070.JPG
    241.5 KB · Views: 544
  • IMG_2071.JPG
    IMG_2071.JPG
    268.7 KB · Views: 557
  • IMG_2072.JPG
    IMG_2072.JPG
    276.7 KB · Views: 540
  • IMG_2073.JPG
    IMG_2073.JPG
    293.4 KB · Views: 541
  • LOFT-Plans1.jpg
    LOFT-Plans1.jpg
    334.8 KB · Views: 537
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
About no queries? Apologies. I thought this would turn into a rather large thread with regular updates about my progress, details etc. At the same time I was after a bit of advice about how best to get started; as I'm confident on all other aspects so knew this might be an informative thread. I was unsure of the best forum-topic to place this in. I can remove and place it again somewhere more relevant, where would be best? The floors, stairs lofts section seemed to be smaller issues. Happy to as required; didn't want to cause annoyance!

Yes you can extend the steels but not as you describe, they'd be bolted with plated fitted either side of the 'I' section with the plates running longitudinally, as you can see from the attached.

how is progress? I see it's been a few months, would love to do this myself by myself,

regards

Biscuit

https://i.imgur.com/fst4wnF.png

Yes you are quite right; I waited over 2 months for the structural engineer to get the splicing diagrams back to me then I got them fabricated, with 3 plate joints for 1 connection and 2 end connection plates for the other connection. Progress has been slow due to work commitments, Christmas etc etc. I finally managed to get the beams into the loft (another problem with a tiny loft hatch) and yesterday cemented the concrete bricks ala padstones into position. I'll check them over the weekend and get the beams joined and connected up, sitting on them. (How will I make them level, using slate? Do I mortar it in position or just let them sit on it?) Will order joists either next week or the week after and crack on with joisting out the floor area in preparation for the staircase. Then will be putting stairs in and kingspan insulation in the rafters. Roof felt is dripping with condensation, is old and stained. Am hoping once I insulate it then it sorts itself out. Really don't want to have to replace the roof. That would blow the budget at this stage!

I would go with steel shims? probably galv, steel sheet can be bought in the correct thickness in 1mm increments cheap.

Good question re fixing, presumably yes, however as no bolting into the concrete/brick can be done (i'm guessing), then some kind of strapping over the top?

**Waiting to be corrected by experts..**

Beers, HH

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back