Large Loft - Conversion

Great project and good to see the progress in pictures, how much did the loft end up costing ?

Sponsored Links
£12k in all.

Three radiators??? aha!

All three rads are plumbed into the GCH but they are also plumbed into the Living room log burner with grundfos pump (50 metre of coiled microbore packed tightly to the back of fire). Each rad can be used/isoloated however you want. Works a treat. Main thing is....the living room cassette fire also heats the loft for free, but you can still use existing GCH if you want.

Now added the loft conversion photos to the new build web page-
http://our-pad.host-ed.net/

Eng,

I know you're mostly finished now, but going back to the beginning what size steel did you eventually need for your span?

both were 10,620 :eek: :eek: :LOL:
409d x 176w.

Getting each section up the first floor (carpeted) stairs was hard work, took three very strong chaps. (inc me :) ) didnt even mark the carpet.
Had to use a mechanical winch to lift them thru the new stair well.

Each end sits on very heavy gauge (cant remember) steel box bearers of 1400, bedded on with strong compo.

Memorable moment was tightening the bolts together with a mahooosive spanner. The spanner slipping off and cracking against my shin bone..........aaaargghhhh, ffff&%$%$£"!!!

leg went blue from knee to toe for nearly two weeks!

Yeah should have took a pic of that too :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Couple of things to add now finished-

When I finished doing all the truss timbers and tightened all the coach bolts up, it was a good few weeks before it was boarded up. Just before I boarded up the roof I thought I'd check all the bolts for tightness. They were a bit loose! even though I had done the best I could at the time. Obviously down to the heat over a few weeks (late summer) drying them out. I wonder if loft conversion companies re-check every bolt before boarding up?

Always use dog tooth washers with coach bolts when doing a loft - Seen a few do their own lofts without them!

When re-siting hot water header tank, and highering up the CH header tank for the new rads (gravity only obviously) don't get the breather pipes mixed up.....it floods the place!

Looks great. just in the prosses of doing one myself. Its getting there. Lowered all the 1st floor ceilings to get a few more inches of head room up there :confused:

hey

would you have any pictures of when the steel was installed and the new flooring?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back