Ok to add socket for microwave?

Are you actually in the UK? That‘s definitely not a typical UK consumer unit.

I‘d strongly recommend replacing all the non-matching MCBs, the bus bars don‘t fit and that could definitely cause overheating.
It certainly is. Its a GE Series E board - MCBs no longer manufactured, which is probably why others have been shoehorned in.
I believe that Vynckier badged these latterly, also Sector but also only available as second hand on FleaBay etc.
s-l1600.jpg

Probably needs a full going over but hopefully not a replacement!
regret the whole board really needs changing for a compliant unit. Front end RCDs are never a good idea and (of course) its not made of fire resistant material.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I've just looked again and see the top row is on RCD, the bottom row are not, the right end device being a 2P RCBO.

Lots of devices are compatible with GE. I think maybe Sneider but a few years since I've had dealings GE.

Realistically as has been said it'd due for replacement or at least a good overhaul.
For a start unless there is a double pole isolator between it and the meter, the main switch should be changed.

Personally I'd just add the socket for the microwave and deal with any tripping problems if/when you encouter them.

Do you have a washing machine and/or tumble drier? if so are they on a different circuit from the one involved in this question?

It certainly is. Its a GE Series E board - MCBs no longer manufactured, which is probably why others have been shoehorned in.
I believe that Vynckier badged these latterly, also Sector but also only available as second hand on FleaBay etc.
regret the whole board really needs changing for a compliant unit. Front end RCDs are never a good idea and (of course) its not made of fire resistant material

Eek. We will need to get saving! Full board replacement =couple of grand when I last heard :( Really useful to know what MCBs will fit it though. Just a thought, couldn't they just replace the din rail with one from another up to date board ?

I've just looked again and see the top row is on RCD, the bottom row are not, the right end device being a 2P RCBO.

Lots of devices are compatible with GE. I think maybe Sneider but a few years since I've had dealings GE.

Realistically as has been said it'd due for replacement or at least a good overhaul.
For a start unless there is a double pole isolator between it and the meter, the main switch should be changed.

Thanks for the info, I will put Sneider on the list with Sector and Vynkier. I thought the Main switch was a double pole isolator? Edit: No, can clearly see just one fat brown and the blue going to the busbar

Personally I'd just add the socket for the microwave and deal with any tripping problems if/when you encouter them.

Do you have a washing machine and/or tumble drier? if so are they on a different circuit from the one involved in this question?

Yes the microwave will be an easy addition after all the help here, I feel a lot more confident. If it trips, I can ask to try having it upgraded to a 25A for the quickest fix, provided all the tests go ok.

I have a washer-drier on one of those 20A via 2.5sq. There's a twin socket off it also which the hoover usually gets plugged into, sometimes a lamp.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Full board replacement =couple of grand when I last heard :( Really useful to know what MCBs will fit it though. Just a thought, couldn't they just replace the din rail with one from another up to date board ?
Making do will be throwing money away. Sooner or later an inspection will note that the basic enclosure does not meet the current regulations. Right now, some inspectors will note it as C3 "needs improvement". Some will mark it as C2 (means that something on your installation is potentially dangerous).
Sooner or later you'll need to get a new CU.

The DIN rail is not an issue and they are all the same in profile, so no point changing that!
Different manufacturers MCBs have different layouts which means that the busbars dont fit properly.

Making do will be throwing money away. Sooner or later an inspection will note that the basic enclosure does not meet the current regulations.
I disagree, product ranges come and go, new bullshit from the IET keeps getting handed down. Replacing a consumer unit now is no guarantee that it will be compliant and maintainable in 10 or 20 years time.

The DIN rail is not an issue and they are all the same in profile, so no point changing that!
Different manufacturers MCBs have different layouts which means that the busbars dont fit properly.

Exactly. Note how the Schrack MCBs are shorter than the originals and the ABL Sursum on either side, which means the bus bar won't be fully inserted into the Schrack ones. Eclectic mix of continental parts I'd say, ABL is German, Schrack is Austrian. The Neozed switch fuse on the bottom left looks German too. Is that a 100 amp D03? Quite a rare beast on the continent if it is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back