Cooker switch with socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys

3 questions in one

The cooker switches with integral sockets are generally on a 30a fuse or 32A breaker. How come as a normal spur wouldn't be off anything bigger than a 16A or 20A?

Also looking at the sheer facts if I was to convert it to a standard cooker switch and spur off a socket I would have to insert a 13A or 20A fused point in between. Correct?

If I inserted a 20A fuse point does this then become rated as a seperate radial? (Assuming I control the rating of the original cooker point correctly)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The cooker switches with integral sockets are generally on a 30a fuse or 32A breaker. How come as a normal spur wouldn't be off anything bigger than a 16A or 20A?
If by spur you mean RADIAL CIRCUIT, a 20 amp radial has 2.5mm cable. Your cooker control unit is supplied in 6mm cable. A 32 amp radial can exist with 4mm cable.

Also looking at the sheer facts if I was to convert it to a standard cooker switch and spur off a socket I would have to insert a 13A or 20A fused point in between. Correct?
why?

If I inserted a 20A fuse point does this then become rated as a seperate radial? (Assuming I control the rating of the original cooker point correctly)
I think you're missing the point. A 13 amp socket can exist on basically any circuit. The plug top fuse limits the current draw to 13 amps, thus the fuse in the fuse box or consumer unit is there to protect the cable supplying the circuit. The cable needs to have higher capacity than the fuse. End of.

Thanks Steve

Just not thinking.

Point 2 - I was wanting to run a 2G socket seperate to the cooker point but have no other supply near. Run in 2.5mm cable from the cooker point. Would I therefore have to down rate/fuse it?

Sponsored Links
Is the cooker point already running a cooker? If so I wouldn't go putting additional "non-cooker associated" load on it like this. Use a ring main.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back