Adding sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If i have a 20A MCB at the consumer unit can i change my cooker 45A DP isolating switch to a 2 gang 45A DP cooker switch with 13A socket using a single to double backbox converter to save me digging out the wall.

Also can i safely run a spur off the cooker wall plate cable outlet to fit a socket for gas hob electrical connection which is only 3A

I am fitting a new intergrated oven which the manufacturer requires 15-20A fuse and 2.5mm flex connection.

Any help appreciated

Sponsored Links
1. Well I wouldn't really. What do you want to plug into it? With the thick wires its not easy. You wouldn't want to plug a kettle or tumble dryer into it and use it at the same time as the oven.
And the existing wires would need to be long enough, to reach the extended socket.
2. Yes. Fit a socket. You may want it to the side of the oven, so that the oven can be pushed all the way back

Could i fit a dual connection oven cable outlet with 2.5mm flex going to oven and 2.5mm flex going to a FCU to connect the gas hob gable which is only 3A load would that be within regulations bearing in mind i will have 20A MCB at CU and 6mm cable to cooker isolating switch and cooker outlet connection

You could.

But why bother fitting an FCU? If the gas thing comes with a plug, then you could fit a socket. They do take up more room though.

Either option is safe

Sponsored Links
This seems to be an example of the situation we were recently discussing here, namely that the OP seems to feel obliged to protect the 6mm² cable of his cooker circuit with a 20A MCB because of the MI for his new oven calls for a "15A-20A fuse" - which will certainly restrict/limit what could otherwise be the usefulness/versatility of this circuit (which otherwise would have the potential to be a 40A or 45A circuit).

Kind Regards, John

I see what your saying, if i fit socket as you say what size cable/flex should i use between socket and cooker cable outlet connection 6mm or 2.5mm

And if using 2.5mm, could probably wouldn't need a dual connection plate.
You could probably squeeze 6mm, 2.5mm and the oven cable all into the existing 45A outlet, assuming you have a proper one now

Dual connection plates are really for when you don't have gas. and you have an all electric hob and electric oven.
I'm not stopping you fitting one if it makes things easier

Should i fit 20A RC type MCB or just an ordinary type MCB at CU not sure if there is some regulation about sockets having to use RC breakers now

If the sockets are under the worktop and not accessable for other things, then personally I wouldn't bother with RCD protection.
You may have have it already.

I guess you mean RCBO ?

Personally I wouldn't bother. But if you want it 100% complient, yeah you could fit an RCBO. (it all starts getting a waste of money though)
or as you first sugguested you could use an FCU and not a socket. :LOL::rolleyes:. That would be complient and cheaper.
Personally I don't like cutting off plugs and having my head in a cupboard hard wiring things in (if there are easier and more flexable way)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back