Old 60's fresh air ventilation system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone!

I own a house built around 1960 and it has these ventilation boxes on the wall. A larger one in the living room, which is wired into the mains (see 1st pic below). And then 3 smaller units in the bedrooms that are mounted higher up and don't have any wires or switches (see 2nd pic).

I assume that back in the day, they were just an alternative to opening a window and allowing fresh air in?

Could I simply remove them and place a ventilation grill over them? Does anyone know why the smaller bedroom units have no visible wires or switches? How would they work?

Thanks in advance!
Living room ventilation system.jpg
Bedroom Ventilation system.jpg

Sponsored Links
Is there an airbrick on the other side of the wall?

How did you know they are ventilation units?

I wonder if they contain dust or pollen filters.

"Airprime" is today a name used for wireless equipment.

Well fancy that

Company closed down in 1982.

Name of Company: AIRPRIME EQUIPMENT LIMITED.
Nature of Business: VENTILATIONS EQUIPMENT
MANUFACTURERS.
Address of Registered Office: 4 Charterhouse Square,
London EC1M 6EN.
Liquidators' Names and Address: M. R. Dorrington, A
W. Wainwright, 4 Charterhouse Square, London EC1M
6EN.
Date of Appointment: 20th April 1982.
By whom Appointed: Members and Creditors. (055)

Sponsored Links
So when I switch on the Living room unit, I can feel that it blows out air in the opening at the bottom. It has 2 vents on the outside. The bedroom units have 1 exterior vent.

I guess I could just unscrew the unit cover to see what's inside, but I'm sure that I've seen these in other people's homes, so I thought that I would ask here first.

Thanks

Exterior vent to Living room.jpg
Exterior vent to bedroom.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back