Condensation/Damp issues Ventilation advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've just moved into a 1930's 3 bed Semi detached house that has a fair bit of condensation.

The bathroom had no extraction fan and at the recommendation of several damp surveys and the original surveyor we've had a Vent Axia Centrif Duo unit put into the bathroom (installed yesterday). Prior to this going in, if the two of us had a shower each in the morning, the whole bathroom would be sopping wet, with the walls covered in water (waterproof paint, so the walls cannot breathe). With the addition of the fan, which runs on a trickle setting all the time and uses its boost when the light switch is turned on, it manages the steam in the room brilliantly, and whereas before the room would be wet (note, not damp!), the walls are dry and the window condensation disappears within 20 minutes of the light being turned off (trickle setting clears most of this up, as the boost is only on for 2 minutes after the light is turned off).

Similar scenario in the kitchen. There was an extraction hood, but it was not hooked up to extract the air outside, so it just made a lot of noise and circulated the air within the room. Now that is working too, so less condensation and moist air in the kitchen when cooking.

The issue I have is that I didn't realise how good these fans would be, but we've also not had a really cold morning this morning like we did last week, when I agreed to put in a Drimaster 2000 unit too which would help the other rooms. The master and third bedroom (box room) have air brick vents in them which currently let loads of cold air in, particularly noticeable overnight. The damp guy who came and recommended that rather than replace them with valved one way vents we should consider a drimaster 2000 unit which would create the positive pressure we need to expel the stale air. I'm happy with the idea of the unit etc and have read the pro's and con's, but with the more powerful Vent Axia humidity controlled extractor fan in the bathroom will the two be overkill?

I know the bathroom is now ok, but I don't know about the rest of the house. I know there are higher damp meter readings in the hallway/staircase, and have been warned about mould due to condensation in those places so thought the Drimaster would still be a good addition for this purpose.

Finally, would we be good to turn off the trickle on the Vent-Axia fan in the bathroom otherwise presumably the Drimaster air will just seek the bathroom?

EDIT: It may also be worth noting, we have a mix of new and old double glazing, as well as some single pane glazing. The house has no cavity, and is solid brick construction.

Sponsored Links
Umm... we do. but that doesn't help when you have a damp issue and too much condensation... and whilst fine in the summer, isn't terribly practical when the temperature outside during last winter reached -15 here, or for when we are not in the house.

Not wanting to sounds unnapreciative or rude, but pratical answers please that actually are taking the time to respond sensibly to what has been asked?

Normally these forums are great for the few questions I have asked.

There is often a tendency to over complicate things.. Condensation will occur in your house if you add a lot of additional moisture and seal the house up from natural ventilation..

Was the property vacant for long period before you moved in?

Sponsored Links
No not at all. They moved out, we moved in. The house hasn't been terribly well looked after.

It definitely needed the fan in the kitchen hooking up properly and a humidity fan putting in the bathroom.

The Drimaster 2000 positive ventiliation system would really be for the rest of the house. It's that, or replacing the two vent blocks in the bedrooms and it all seems to amount to the same cost.

Our plans are to also put the double glazing in where needed, which will seal up those rooms more. When we do that the i figure the vent blocks will be much less of an issue in the house since the Drimaster should be reversing the flow of air from coming in to exiting the house instead.

I'd say you're been mis-sold that drimaster system. They are always a last resort for extreme cases and people unable or unwilling to alter their living habits

A 1930's semi with central heating, extract fans to bathroom and kitchen, should be able to deal with condensation

Just because the previous occupiers caused condensation, does not mean that it will occur with different occupiers. Condensation is not caused by the structure

"will remove stale air"
along with a lot off good air damp and lots off heat

a widow open for an hour or so will do better than a fan
remember a fan will extract lots off heat and force airflow throughout the house possibly causing draughts

does anybody drape wet washing around the house or over radiators?

No we haven't been doing that, but we do hang some washing inside the house as there is nowhere else to do it and we cannot justify the cost of a tumble dryer and it's running costs, or even have the space for it currently.

The bathroom fan seeMs to have done an excellent job and I am cancelling the guy with the drimaster system to see how we go for now.

The air brick vents in the two bedrooms are they necessary? The rooms end up very cold due to them and I've done a temporary experiment where I've blocked the one in the larger bedroom and left the other unblocked in the box room. The bigger room does feel warmer as a result.

I'm sure in a house of this age there must be other nooks and crannies the air can escape to if necessary?

If they can be blocked/replaced, what is the best way of dealing with them?

I'm sure in a house of this age there must be other nooks and crannies the air can escape to if necessary?
Well no, as you have condensation problems..

You have 2 options.. either reduce the moisture added to the internal air (so less drying washing internally, showers, gas fires, breathing etc) and/or increase the air circulation with outside.. best way is seal your house up during the night and then open a few windows an hour each day to air stuff out.. ensure that kitchen and bathrooms have vents or windows open most of the time..

if you insist on drying wet washing in the house, put a roll-away line in the bathroom, and leave the extractor running with the door and window closed to suck the water vapour outside the house.

Wet washing indoors is the main cause of condensation, damp and mould in UK homes.

"sealing" the house during the night will make it worse not better. Cold outside air always contain less water vapour than warm inside air, even on a foggy or rainy night, unless the outside air is also warm.

There is more water vapour in a cubic metre of hot dry air in the Sahara than in a cubic metre of cold damp air in Manchester. It's the temperature that does it.

we do hang some washing inside the house as there is nowhere else to do it and we cannot justify the cost of a tumble dryer and it's running costs, or even have the space for it currently.

the question should be can you afford not to :eek: :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back