Old 80s tap - how to take apart to replace washer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My first post since 2010! Glad to see the forum is alive and well.

Anyway, I've inherited a dripping tap, and thought I'd try to extract the washer, and get a replacement. This is what the tap looks like:

tap with cap.jpg

After isolating the water, and removing the top cap, I see this:

tap without cap.jpg

All I can see is the thread which the cap screws onto, and I'm not sure how to remove the tap handle. I've tried just turning the tap handle anti-clockwise, with a bit of force, but it won't unscrew.

Has anyone worked with this style of tap before? It might just need some more elbow grease to unscrew, but I thought I'd check first before I break the thing!

Sponsored Links
2 pry levers (screwdrivers) one each side and it will pop off, warning it might pop off and smack you in the eye whilst your knuckles smash the sink! :LOL:

Quick reply, thanks!

Here's a side view of the tap:

tap side view.jpg

With the cap removed, should I just push up using pry levers where the green arrow is on each side?

Yep
Might have to go North & South and East & West a few times to get it moving though.

Sponsored Links
Trying with a standard screwdriver on all sides, but the thing is stuck solid. Will try and get some pry levers tomorrow and report back...

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back