Old cable and Junction box workng practices

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In another post a topic strayed onto the subject of those junction boxes with the earth wires connected over the outside of the box and twisted together. I didn't want to barge in on that topic and thought I would open another.

Regarding those old style junction boxes with their exposed earth conections, do I need to replace them.

Obvioulsy one wouldn't do that sort of thing now and if one was changing wiring or digging around in spaces where these boxes are hidden one should take the opportunity to replace them. However, are they that evil that one should actively root them out and change them.

I also find in many cases on my socket ring, there will be a run of grey 2.5 cable where the wires are stands rather than the modern white with solid T&E cores. Do these cables require replacing.

Third and final - is it OK to spur off this type of cable using the modern white 2.5 T&E cores.

Sponsored Links
one way of looking at it is if you wouldnt do it now then consider why and change it..

If you are doing work then you should. twisted earth connections wont be good for the Earth loop impediance

I only ever use junction boxes for lighting and only if I know they want to fit something fancy and I cant use a pendant drop. (gits.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back