Old cable use

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys....

just a quick one.....my mate has about 1 trillion mtrs of various sized old red / blk cables - flat T & E.....he has asked me can he use them on new installations if he sleeves them with appropriate colours....any advice please as he spent a fortune on these cables a couple of years ago.....

many thanks....

Sponsored Links
he would do better to sell them on fleabay.

people doing extension and repair work on old installations like to use them

So too do some DIYers who have a time machine which they use to go back and do work in 2004.

No you have to install new colours now.

Get it all stripped. Best copper is worth £150 for 50kG scrap

Not strictly correct, but I recommend that he used them up on minor alteration and extension jobs, rather than new installs, new install on old colours is blatently being a cheapskate, but adding a spur socket to an older install, it avoids having to introduce the new colours ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks Guys....

the work my mate wants to do is an attic extension in an old three level house....I believe he has notified the LBA but he is just pushing on with the wiring and replacing floorboards etc without having visual inspection...can this be done ?

can he claim that the old cables were already in awaiting the extension build ?

many thanks for this and previous answers.....

No and no.

The BCO inspector will want to see the cable runs, so tell your mate to be patient and do it properly. The last thing he wants is for the inspector to insist he rips it all back up.

Also, if you start making ridiculous comments to get around the new rules then your BCO inspector is just going to be harder on you. They don't like being fed bullsh1t and like most professionals, they can smell it a mile off.

Davy....thanks.....I agree with your sentiments re the first line but why would the early provision of cable preparation be classed as ridiculous comments - his ring main was installed some eighteen months ago with the runs looped to intended s/o boxes....and so prior to LBA adjudication....but I do see where you are coming from..... and you seem to know the BCO response !!!.....cheers !!

People seem to pay more for the old colour stuff on e-bay than they do for the new colours. Sell it on e-bay would be the easiest/ most profitable way to get rid of it.

sausage1 said:
Davy....thanks.....I agree with your sentiments re the first line but why would the early provision of cable preparation be classed as ridiculous comments - his ring main was installed some eighteen months ago with the runs looped to intended s/o boxes....and so prior to LBA adjudication....but I do see where you are coming from..... and you seem to know the BCO response !!!.....cheers !!

Apologies, I misread your previous post and thought the wiring was for a new extension and not a loft extension - hence my 'ridiculous comments' regarding the early provision of cables in an extension that hasn't been built yet. :rolleyes:

I can't see any problem with the use of old cables then if your BCO inspector will accept that they were installed some time ago. He will still want to see the cable runs though.

Thanks Davy.....yes, he has on old house on 3 levels and has opened up into the loft area as a bedroom / study.......nice....Having said that....trying to ensure he follows advice can be difficult........typical Professor with little common sense !!!

ATB and thanks....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back