Using old colour cable after harmonisation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I know that for a while now it has not permitted to use the black and red cable colours under the current regulations, but can anyone give a definitive answer on whether it is permissible to mark the cables with the new colours so that they do comply?

BS 7671:2008 (17th edition) Appendix 7.1 says:
... British standards for fixed and flexible colours have been harmonised. BS7671 has been modified to align with these cables, but also allows other suitable methods of marking connections by colours (tapes, sleeves or discs), or by alphanumerics (letters and/or numbers)...

So as I read it, it could be as simple as using insulation tape to re-mark the cables; as long as they can be identified by the new colours I am permitted to use them..
What does everyone else think?

Sponsored Links
514.4.1 Neutral must be blue 514.5.4 or numbered 0
514.4.2 Earth green/yellow
514.6.1 Identification by colour or marking, is not required for:
(i) concentric conductors of cables
(ii) metal sheath or armour of cables when used as a protective conductor
(iii) bare conductors where permanent identification is not practicable
(iv) extraneous-conductive-parts used as a protective conductor
(v) exposed-conductive-parts used as a protective conductor.
514.14.1 about warning notice.

I would say to used red, yellow, and blue cables for two way switching instead of brown, black, and grey with sleeves with correct colours leaves only the blue wire which may be seen as incorrect but if the use of blue is not permitted then neither is the use of brown and blue cable for switch wires.

And so using red and black twin and earth for switch wires would be more correct than using brown and blue all with sleeves of course.

So although strictly speaking to use old colours is against the regulations it is no worse than using triple and earth for two way switching or twin and earth for switch wires.

What you have to decide is anyone likely to complain if so use correct colours as strictly speaking it does not comply. Is it really worth taking a chance that someone is going to object and you will have to re-pull cables for the few pounds you will save? I don't think I would take the chance!

Recently carried out some work in Bradford, the gentlemen who had brought the property arrived with a large box of cable and rcbo's and mcb's.

All the cable was old colours and the rcbo's were C type.

Any way, all went in the back of the van, cable for storage until copper prices rise (about 500 metres of the stuff 1.5, 2.5 and 4mm) and rcbo's all going on flea-bay.

New colours went in!!!!!

Hi,
I know that for a while now it has not permitted to use the black and red cable colours under the current regulations, but can anyone give a definitive answer on whether it is permissible to mark the cables with the new colours so that they do comply?
Why would you want to? nothing to stop you using existing cable colours so long as it is clearly marked on the board (This installation has wirng to 2 standards of BS 7671 ETC. (yellow label readily available))
who's to know unless your certificating the work in which case you are obliged to use the new dangerous colours!

Sponsored Links
to be honest if i was doing work on my own house (I'm not a spark) then I would use it, I would sleeve it (not tape tape is crap), If a professional came round to my house and used old cable I'd slap him for been a cheap skate.

to be honest if i was doing work on my own house (I'm not a spark) then I would use it, I would sleeve it

exactly my point - if isn't for a customer just a job at home then who cares! so long as it is A. safe B. clearly identified C. fit for purpose

old red and black cable use red / black sleeves
new blue & brown use blue/ brown sleeves

simples!!

If it was used in modification work to existing circuits, I wouldn't bother ID'ing all the cables. Slam me for this if you will, but whats the point if the rest of the house is pre-harm colours.

New circuits for extensions etc, rewires and new build, I'd steer well clear.

Why would you want to? nothing to stop you using existing cable colours so long as it is clearly marked on the board (This installation has wirng to 2 standards of BS 7671 ETC. (yellow label readily available))
Err - if you carry on using the old colours then there won't be mixed colours and no need for a warning notice.

who's to know unless your certificating the work in which case you are obliged to use the new dangerous colours!
No you aren't:

ecert1ui9.jpg

Any way, all went in the back of the van, cable for storage until copper prices rise (about 500 metres of the stuff 1.5, 2.5 and 4mm) and rcbo's all going on flea-bay.
What about flogging the cable on FeePay as well - does it still fetch a premium?

To be fair BAS, if its assorted roll-ends, which it inevitably is, I doubt there would be that much interest.

Aaarrgh it is NOT assorted roll ends!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

100m of 1.5mm T&E, about 150m of 2.5T&E nearly 100m of 4mmT&E

So not roll ends but feckin great drums!!!!!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back