harmonised cables

I'd agree with that last point, although I can see merit in the counter-argument that such use is so widespread that it is de-facto reasonable, and can't be regarded as poor workmanship.

But it's another example of "not the same" - the OP has, through negligence, used a cable which he clearly should not have done. There is no way that such negligence can be regarded as good workmanship.

Sponsored Links
Holmslaw - do you believe that carelessness, stupidity and negligence are compatible with good workmanship?

Sponsored Links
What BAS means is, if someone makes a mistake there should be no compromising and the person should be subjected to the severest form of punishment - like being hung drawn and quartered. :eek:

Wouldn't the electric chair be more appropriate? :D

I'd agree with that last point, although I can see merit in the counter-argument that such use is so widespread that it is de-facto reasonable, and can't be regarded as poor workmanship.

I'm not sure that something being widespread automatically equates to being de facto "reasonable."

But frankly, with the mess that's been created with the color changes, the 17th edition might just as well say "You can reasonably expect green or green/yellow to be earth. Anything is else is anybody's guess and a free-for-all." :(

Do you think that installing old-colour cable in a new build otherwise cabled in harmonised colours and not noticing was either careless or negligent?

It is extremely relevant.

It is the crux of the whole issue.

Do you think that installing old-colour cable in a new build otherwise cabled in harmonised colours and not noticing was either careless or negligent?

You have not answered it.

You have made posts following it, but you have not answered it.

And as you know you are on a loser, you start with the insults.

Hi I have just realised that I have used some old three core cable for two way switches
I have pulled all the cables in myself and I have a qualified spark who is going to check all the terminations and sign off
Perhaps I'm more cynical that I thought, but something about this doesn't ring true.

How does a realisation occur only after pulling the cables through?

And the qualified spark - how did you persaude him to let you make the terminations and then have him sign them off?

quite easliy..
I have rolls of old and new colour 3C+E in my shed... some from an old job, some donated by my cousin from the back of his van..
can't tell them apart by looking at them..

If I was a DIYer, I'd just looc at the roll or a quick glance at the end to see that it was 3C+E and then pull it in..
once you get to the stripping back for termination.. THEN you'd see you had the wrong colours..

I agree.

I wouldn't make that mistake, granted I'm an LSF fan now and therefore the white sheath and general feel of the cable gives it away.

Aside, would you say sleeving is a permanant marker? I know tape isn't, is heat-shring not the only proper option here?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back