Old chestnut sorry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I am new to this forum so take it easy, I have done a search within and found some very helpful advice.

I am aware this topic has been covered before, but I have not found my answer.

"so what am I babbeling on about you may ask?"

Power to the garage, I need electricty in the garage, I live in a ground floor massonete with a garage about 20ft from the kitchen door leading onto the garden.

Before you ask I am a novice with electrics, but not stupid.
I would like to ONLY dig the trench and run the cable from the main fuse box to the garage.

My question is how do you run 90 degree bends in the amoured cable, (what I mean from the under ground trench, to up the wall at the back door then into and through the wall) or should I say what do I need to buy, I guess it must be some form of juction box.

Any advice would be great and as stated I am a novive, I am just trying to save on cost when I get an professional electrian in to check and wire up.

I was thinking of a trip next to the fuse box in the house, another one in the garage, then a 3 pin for power and then some sort of tube light.

Once done I can start my late winter rebuild project.

Many thanks in advance have a good one.

regards

TopiToo ;)

Sponsored Links
you dont want to join swa outdoors unless you have to

swa is plenty flexile enough to bend to vertical from the trench in a reasonable ben radius

there are three main desicsoins to make
1: current rating
2: rcd location
3: earthing

for most people i would say that a 20A feed is more than enough but sparkys tend to prefer to run a 40A feed

putting the rcd at the house and will rcd protect the armoured cable but it will be a much longer walk to reset

putting it on your existing rcd will save money but could cause nusence tripping particularlly if water gets into the outbuilding electrics

personally i think the best fitment metnod is as follows

fit a small metalclad rcd CU henleyd into the tails instructions can be found at //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7553 with a mcb rated at the rating you decided for your system

from here run 3 core swa of suitable thickness for the breaker and run length (voltage drop and cable rating)

then into a small metalclad switch CU in the outbuilding with appropiate breakers for the types of lighting and socket cuircuits you decide to install

You should have a 100mA RCD in the house, protecting the cable, and another 30mA unit protecting the circuits.

yeah thats possible but its a lot of expense for a tiny bit of extra conviniance

Sponsored Links
Its not about convenience, the 100mA unit protects the cable feeding the garage, while the 30mA protects the end user.

yeah and a 30ma at the start protects everything just as well

just a little less conviniant of it gets tripped

plugwash said:
putting the rcd at the house and will rcd protect the armoured cable but it will be a much longer walk to reset

I don't have any RCDs, but do they really trip that often that this would become inconvenient? And surely if they do trip, that is because there is a problem... having everything go dead in the garage is going to make you think "hmmm, perhaps I SHOULD let this drill dry out a bit more before I plug it in again" as you walk back to the house. ;)

yeah i nod of agree i was just pointing out the two viewpoints on this

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back