Can my electric shower cable power my garage instead?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello! Taking a few minutes out of the sun because I can't stop wondering....

Obviously I am completely ignorant of electrics and wouldn't dream of attempting anything like this myself, but I am curious whether this is possible so I can make plans and then get someone in to do it.

I currently have a cable running from my fuse box under the stairs, via the loft, to power my upstairs electric shower. This was professionally fitted some years ago, and played with when I had my fuse box changed - so it's perfectly safe. In theory, can I redirect this cable to my garage to power that? I'd want a plug socket (one is fine), a light or two (one out, one in), and one day I'd like to have a powered garage door.

Ignoring the logistics of it (positioning of rooms/garage/fuse box etc), would this cable carry enough power for all of that? I know I'd need a second fuse box out there for anything other than a single plug, and sadly running a cable from my fuse box out there is a little difficult.

Thanks for any advice that anyone can give, and I can only apologise for being as ignorant as I am. I wish I wasn't!

Back to the sun.....

Sponsored Links
so I can make plans and then get someone in to do it.
It would be better to discuss with someone on site.

In theory, can I redirect this cable to my garage to power that? I'd want a plug socket (one is fine), a light or two (one out, one in), and one day I'd like to have a powered garage door.
Yes.

Ignoring the logistics of it (positioning of rooms/garage/fuse box etc),
You can't really ignore these things as something else may be far easier.

would this cable carry enough power for all of that?
Yes.

I know I'd need a second fuse box out there for anything other than a single plug,
Not necessarily.

and sadly running a cable from my fuse box out there is a little difficult.
The nearest socket may be preferable.

That's pretty comprehensive - thank you very much!

I mean plans in my head more than anything. If I can do anything with that cable it changes what type of shower I'm looking at when redoing my bathroom.

I know I (well, someone!) can spur off a plug socket in the kitchen (which is closest) to the garage for another socket or light, but I thought that that wouldn't be sufficient if I wanted a socket, a light in the garage, a light over the decking and potential for a powered garage door in the future. Might it be?

With regards to the logistics, I didn't want to bore you with the details of my house! With where the fuse box is, the shower cable being in the loft is half way there and way easier than starting again. The nearest socket would definitely be preferable but as I said above, I was under the impression this wouldn't be enough for everything I want.

Thank you very much again for your help. Just to know it might be possible is a great help.

I know I (well, someone!) can spur off a plug socket in the kitchen (which is closest) to the garage for another socket or light, but I thought that that wouldn't be sufficient if I wanted a socket, a light in the garage, a light over the decking and potential for a powered garage door in the future. Might it be?
Yes, just for normal usage.

It would need RCD protection which you may already have but that's nothing to do with your question.

With regards to the logistics, I didn't want to bore you with the details of my house! With where the fuse box is, the shower cable being in the loft is half way there and way easier than starting again. The nearest socket would definitely be preferable but as I said above, I was under the impression this wouldn't be enough for everything I want.
You don't want much.

Sponsored Links
You don't want much.

The curse of the internet has struck - you might be being sarcastic, but I don't think you are! I thought that was a lot, it seems it to me. I know what an RCD is but would leave thinking like that to the professionals.

ban-all-sheds - nope! I want to put in a mixer and a stud wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back