Old Clay Soil Pipe Joint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When replacing my soil stack I noticed the 90' bend was broken so I dug it out and have since sourced a new one.

The old joint was sealed with rope and the filled with compound at a 45' angle, the same as illustrated in this picture.

http://www.pavingexpert.com/images/drainage/drn026.gif

Should I try and reseal this is the same way, if so should I use the rope or just fill it all with compound.

Or, should I just cut the female joint off and use a rubber slip connector with jubilee clips?

For some reason Im a little reluctant to cut the old joint off.

Sponsored Links
I always cut the collar off, and join to a straight piece of pipe. Use an angle grinder with stone disc, cut slowly and it's easy enough. Chamfer edges and make sure no rough bits where waste can catch. Some Wickes stores do a plastic collar that will join salt glazed spigot to 100mm plastic, although the rubber type with jubilee clips is shown on the website, either will do the job. Modern methods allow for slight movement in the drain, whereas the original method didnt, hence the cracked pipe.

The original joints were pointed with mortar to seal, the tarred rope was pushed in beforehand to prevent the mortar getting into the pipe and forming a ridge and causing problems. Should you attempt this without the rope then you'll probably get the same issue.... (One test often performed on those old drains after laying was to roll a ball along the run. If it got stuck the drainlayer had to explain why!)

Thanks very much.
I assumed the rope method was rather out dated, I just didn't want to start cutting pipe and damage anything further, but I already have the rubber sleeve for joining them so may as well give it a bash.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back