Old coloured cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Changed immersion heater in cylinder, like an idiot did not really pay to much attention to the wires!!! Don't say it!

The cable going into the immersion is a bit odd!

One is Red (Assume Live) One is Blue, the other is green, does this sound right? The green is not an earth sleeve but solid green.

Would I be right in thinking blue is neutral, green is Earth :eek:

Sponsored Links
I would suspect the colours have faded/changed due to the heat , or else its been wired in cable with weird colours in it . I would recommend looking inside the switch that the cable is fed from and copy from that .

Nick

if its an old flex which i assume it is,then green is the earth.it hasnt always been green and yellow.
test it first though as some muppet may have connected it wrongly in the first place

Sponsored Links
Red black green flex, 35 or so years old Black has faded to blue i expect. unless its older and french then the earth is red :eek:

Might be worth replacing the bit of flex if it's old. Will only cost you 1 or 2 quid. :)

I thought red used as earth was a Germanic trait :?:
i've never seen it on any old german stuff, i've seen it on old french machines and in french buildings. I think red was used as earth in the UK a long time ago too :confused:
red white blue phase colouring is still quite common too, i havent found warning notices for colours used from 3 different regulations

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back