Old Commercial Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Came across this in a commercial premises.

Can you tell me the following:

1) what sort of age is this?
2) is this just a boiler or could this also pump hot air (property is warm air heated)?
3) is there anything to be concerned about with it e.g. asbestos - there appears to be white stuff on the front?

3BC9AEDD-2BAE-4190-9748-BE58A8554BE7.jpeg

Sponsored Links
It could proberbly warm a device which which would transmit heat to warm air passing over it. Bob

1. Antique. (I'd guess 50's or 60's, large bore cast pipework, on a gravity system.)
2. Just a boiler I'd imagine, although could have put hot water into a remote heat exchanger, which would then blow warm air into the room.
3. Asbestos highly likely in something of that era, I'd get it tested before you open up a whole world of pain with Asbestos and the HSE.

Possibly could be a 'Robin Hood' boiler, from the Beeston Boiler company, produced from 1912 onwards. If so then I'd say asbestos is a real risk.

Beeston went into liquidation in 1976. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beeston_Boiler_Company

Sponsored Links
looks like a Beeston Robin Hood . Could be as old as the 50's. VERY likely to have asbestos lurking. get it tested. No idea about the warm air ??? typing as Hugh did too :)

Just doing a bit or research on Beeston Boilers, apparently they put two into Calke Abbey in the 1930's, which dont look dissimilar to that in the pic above. The OP's lump could be even earlier than my guess of the 50's!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back