Old complicated switch to new touch one !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there !! I'm looking for some help! I was trying to change the old double light switch to a touch switch !! can someone help me with this because seems to me too complicated !! the problem here is one switch does my bathroom light, the second one operates with 2 bulbs in my hall on the second floor and the first floor in both ways !! so this thing stopped me because I'm not sure if the new device will work in the same way !!??
below you can see how the old switch is connected and the second image with both old and new switch !! I hope some electricians will draw a simple scheme where and which wire to connect to the new switch !?!
Untitled.jpg 20210525_134337.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Looks like your new switch may need a neutral ,which you don't have at your existing switch location.
Check the spec of the new switch ,it may tell you the switch will work without a neutral ,even though it has a neutral terminal.

omg !! I thought red wires are Live and black are neutral !!! what a heck now I'm totally confused !! there is another wire green/yellow screwed on the metal case inside, which I assume is ground !! nothing else !!
below is the instruction !!
doc.jpg

Sponsored Links
there is another wire screwed on the metal case inside, which I assume is ground !! nothing else !!

there is another wire screwed on the metal case inside, which I assume is ground !! nothing else !!
You have a problem, then. It is clear that your new switch won't work without a neutral, and there is no neutral available at your switch.

There are only two real solutions I can think of. Either you need to find an alternative to your new switch which does not need a neutral (I think some may exist), or else you need an electrician to see if he/she can 'find' an appropriate neutral (of the correct circuit) to run to the switch position.

Knd Regards, John

omg !! I thought red wires are Live and black are neutral !!! what a heck now I'm totally confused !! there is another wire green/yellow screwed on the metal case inside, which I assume is ground !! nothing else !!
below is the instruction !!
View attachment 234470
You have enough wires to do the job but alterations will be have to be made. Can you get to the wiring where it goes to, like in the loft?

You have enough wires to do the job but alterations will be have to be made. Can you get to the wiring where it goes to, like in the loft?
Numerically, that's obviously correct (4 conductors and 4 terminals). However, electrically speaking, it would presumably only work (without even more, probably more difficult, 'alterations') if both the lights being controlled are on the same circuit (same L and N).

Kind Regards, John

Numerically, that's obviously correct (4 conductors and 4 terminals). However, electrically speaking, it would presumably only work (without even more, probably more difficult, 'alterations') if both the lights being controlled are on the same circuit (same L and N).

Kind Regards, John
Well we know they're on the same live but at the moment we don't know if they are T&E or singles and junction boxes or borrowed neutrals. There is a slight chance (Very slight) it may just be a case of moving wires in a rose but I doubt it.

It is possible (anything is at the moment) that it is two normal switch drop cables (not line loop) and someone has linked the two lines - because a previous (three-gang?) switch had one.

It is possible (anything is at the moment) that it is two normal switch drop cables (not line loop) and someone has linked the two lines - because a previous (three-gang?) switch had one.
Yep, that's exactly the sort of thing I'd be praying for.

yea !! when first time opened the box I knew is not going to be easy ****!!:mad:

20210524_164942.jpg

Firstly, please tell us if the two lights are on the same circuit. That is - do they both stop working when one breaker is switched off (or one fuse is removed)?

IF that is the case, then remove the link wire and tell us if both lights still work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back