Old complicated switch to new touch one !

Firstly, please tell us if the two lights are on the same circuit. That is - do they both stop working when one breaker is switched off (or one fuse is removed)?

IF that is the case, then remove the link wire and tell us if both lights still work.
That was my next step too, luckily all cables come from the top.

Is there a loft above this, can you see where the cables go?

EDIT: I'm getting confused, Initially I thought these looked like 3/0.029 (but a closer look shows it's solid conductor) however the earth wire looks stranded, either that or it's more than one solid wire.

I think this looks like 2x T&E but it could be 4x 1c&E

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Firstly, please tell us if the two lights are on the same circuit. That is - do they both stop working when one breaker is switched off (or one fuse is removed)?

IF that is the case, then remove the link wire and tell us if both lights still work.

Yes, that's right! I can switch on/off from both places "if upstairs I turn on both bulbs are on and then going on the first floor and turn them off or on again !!"
I'm sorry but which one is the link wire in my case !!??

Sponsored Links
Yes, that's right! I can switch on/off from both places "if upstairs I turn on both bulbs are on and then going on the first floor and turn them off or on again !!"
No, I meant a fuse or a circuit breaker in the consumer unit.

However, I'm lost.
Is the first floor not upstairs?
What you say the switches do does not match the wiring you have in the pictured switch.

The short red wire that links the two red wires from the cables.

upload_2021-5-24_18-38-28.png

I'm lost, are you saying you have 2 switches for a light, on 2 different floors?
Those switches are not wired for 2way use.
If you turn off upstairs can you turn back on, on 1st floor?

Last edited:
This might sound stupid but do you have to move both switches simultaneously to effect the two location ON or OFF function. In other words are you using two adjacent switches as a single intermediate switch.

Edit : Now that he has admitted to altering the wiring and showing an invalid photograph, this question is no longer relevant. The original wiring submission was as shown in reply #21 which clearly did not provide intermediate switching capability

Last edited:
probably you talking about this white box ?!?
No.

One of these circuit breakers with the white buttons.

upload_2021-5-24_20-44-31.png

Switch off by pressing the little button under the white one.
Press the white one back in to turn on again,

Does one of them off stop both lights working?

From what you have now shown us, I think what you want to do would be possible - but I don't know how anyone would go about leading you through it.

SORRY I MEANT THE GROUND FLOOR AS 1ST !!
That's OK thanks, we are happy to work with your descriptions.

So can you tell us if the light is on or off with the following switch positions please:
Ground / upstairs
UP / UP =
UP / Down =
Down / UP =
Down / Down =

Also could you supply a picture of the wiring in the latest switch please.

Sorry guys I made a mistake !!! this is the correct connection !!20210525_134337.jpg

No.
One of these circuit breakers with the white buttons.
Switch off by pressing the little button under the white one.
Press the white one back in to turn on again,
Does one of them off stop both lights working?...

20210525_131913.jpg Yes, when I pressed on the small red button all lights went off in the house !! obviously, i still had electricity! so as you said that's for bulbs only !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back