Old dial electricity meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have the old dial type meter, should I try and get it replaced with a new one? or is it a case of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' What would you do?

Any advantage in having a new one?

Cheers,

Mark

Sponsored Links
Meters get changed periodically by law.

All meters have a certification life (on average about 20 years) that says the meter will read accurately for that time.

When this time is up your electricity supplier will know and send the meter operator round to change it.

If its an old dial type like you say chances are it'll be up in the next couple of years.

Depending on what you call dial I suppose.

I would class a meter that has the display like this a dial type.

dial_meter.png

Pic please :D

Sponsored Links
Roo said:
Meters get changed periodically by law.

When this time is up your electricity supplier will know and send the meter operator round to change it.

Not in my case. I had the meter changed in 2005 or 6 after fitting an isolation switch & uprating the shower. It was only changed on my request. The previous meter was installed when the house was built in 1960.

Cartboy52 said:
Ah OK, mine has the big wheel at the bottom and then numbers like a car speedo.

ours looks like yours then, whats your problem with it?

breezer said:
Cartboy52 said:

No problem. I was just pointing out that although it's a new meter, it's still not a digital one. The OP was asking if he should get his replaced.

securespark said:
Not in my case. I had the meter changed in 2005 or 6 after fitting an isolation switch & uprating the shower. It was only changed on my request. The previous meter was installed when the house was built in 1960.

I do come across lots of customers who have been at the same prem for 40yrs or so and say the mtr has never been changed.
I think there may have been a time when some meters were certified again on site.

They SHOULD all have a cert date somewhere tho and this will be when they were last certified to read correctly.

Cartboy52 said:
breezer said:
Cartboy52 said:

No problem. I was just pointing out that although it's a new meter, it's still not a digital one.
It is considered "digital". Digital needn't mean it has an LCD display. It is digital in the sense that it shows digits which change over time as you use lectric.

The dial meters aren't digital, as the digits dont change, the hands point to different numbers on each dial.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back