old fashioned fusebox !!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, i am installing a power shower in my friends bathroom. this was the easiest part, the plumbing etc, but now i have run into a problem. i run the 3 core wire from the shower unit to a pull switch in the cieling, then a run the cable to the consumer unit where i realised he still had the old type fuse box fitted, with the pull out fuses with the replaceable wire in. now for the shower (a 10.8kw) shower i was told i need a 45amp rcd. Is it a new fusebox job, or can i simply fit a single rcd to the old fuse box. Please help some one.

Sponsored Links
Ignoring the fact that you seem to have a frankly worryingly small grasp of what you are doing...it sounds very much like a new CU or henleying a separate shower CU will be required.

Where abouts in Lincolnshire are you, OOI? might be able to recommend a sparky if you want to get someone in and are reasonably close to Lincoln

Assuming you mean Electric Shower (electrically heated) not Power Shower (hot water from cylinder, with an electric pump) then an old rewirable fusebox will usually not be adequate.

I assume it is a Wylex Standard in Brown or Cream. Many of these had a 60-amp main switch, and were not intended for fuses exceeding 30Amps. If you tell us more about it we will be able to identify if your customer's one is different.

I suggest a new CU with either a 45A RCBO, or else an 30mA RCD and a 45A MCB.

As this will be subject to Building Regulations inspection, it may save the cost of upgrading the rest of the CU and circuits at this time if you fit a separate one.

If fitting a new CU, my preference would always be to fit a good big one, with plenty of room for the remaining circuits in the house to be supplied from here when the old fusebox and circuits are eventually replaced (hopefully before long). It would also be an advantage to fit a 100A DP switch in the meter tails before the Henley so that there is a main switch to isolate the entire installation in the house.

Are you complying with part P?

ALexm, You said "3-core wire" - what is the csa of that cable, 6mm², 10mm² or something else?

Thanks for the info & maybe we can help you some more..

Sponsored Links
Adam_151 said:
Ignoring the fact that you seem to have a frankly worryingly small grasp of what you are doing...it sounds very much like a new CU or henleying a separate shower CU will be required.

Where abouts in Lincolnshire are you, OOI? might be able to recommend a sparky if you want to get someone in and are reasonably close to Lincoln

Hi im in a place called Winterton, 5 or so miles from scunthorpe

JohnD said:
Assuming you mean Electric Shower (electrically heated) not Power Shower (hot water from cylinder, with an electric pump) then an old rewirable fusebox will usually not be adequate.

I assume it is a Wylex Standard in Brown or Cream. Many of these had a 60-amp main switch, and were not intended for fuses exceeding 30Amps. If you tell us more about it we will be able to identify if your customer's one is different.

I suggest a new CU with either a 45A RCBO, or else an 30mA RCD and a 45A MCB.

As this will be subject to Building Regulations inspection, it may save the cost of upgrading the rest of the CU and circuits at this time if you fit a separate one.

If fitting a new CU, my preference would always be to fit a good big one, with plenty of room for the remaining circuits in the house to be supplied from here when the old fusebox and circuits are eventually replaced (hopefully before long). It would also be an advantage to fit a 100A DP switch in the meter tails before the Henley so that there is a main switch to isolate the entire installation in the house.

Are you complying with part P?

Hi there, sorry, i meant a electrically heated shower, not a pump/ cylinder fed one. The existing fuse box is black and cream in colour and onle contains 4 fuses. the highest been a 30amp. non of the house has been modernised , so obviously if the cu is replaced. the whole house might aswell get done as none of the electrics seem to be on a ring circuit ?? I recently did my own house but called a qualified sparky in to check my work and to actually fit the new cu.

Taylortwocities said:
ALexm, You said "3-core wire" - what is the csa of that cable, 6mm², 10mm² or something else?

Thanks for the info & maybe we can help you some more..

Hi, the cable i have is 10mm2 . The really thick cable with a twin and earth. Is this tooo big or is this correct.[/url][/list][/code]

10mm T&E is generally right for a big shower.

Incidentally, you don't need to use the
icon_quote.gif
button - especially for a big quote -
reply.gif
will mostly do fine.

Hey John!

We had a raft of kitchen switch/socket enquiries a while ago....now we seem to be getting lots of "Old Fusebox" enquiries - strange, huh?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back