Fusebox

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have on "old" style fusebox with 1 white,1 blue and two red fuses. I have established that the ring main circuit upstairs &n downstairs is connected to one of the red fuses. The other red fuse is used for the 45amp cooker control unit.Is it just a simple matter of upgrading the fusewire in this "red" fuse to 45amp fuse wire , I assume that the existing fuse as 30 amp fusewire.

Sponsored Links
Red does signify 30A - that is all this fuse holder is rated for. In order to upgrade the supply to a higher rating will firstly involve checking that the cable for the circuit is suitable for the additional load. Then it need to be confirmed that the CU can take a larger fuse. Depending how the cable is installed etc and taking into account the requirement for RCD protection it may an idea to look into having a new CU installed.

Wylex fuse boxes have a maximum rating of 30A per fuseway.

A fuse bigger than this will cause your fusebox to overheat doing major damage to your fusebox.

Sponsored Links
Some wylex CUs with a 100A main switch will take a larger fuse but the bases are keyed so they will only go in a certain position.

Underlying this, it seems that the OP wants to up the cooker fuse to 45A from the present 30A. Is there a reason for wanting to do this?

The fuses are there to protect the cable running from the fuseboard.
It is very likely that the cable for the cooker circuit is 6mm. On a good day, and in ideal conditions, 6mm is only good for 40Amp and this would need to be checked by a competent sparky before ANY change is made.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back