Consumer Unit/Fusebox blown fuse advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've moved into a new home, and it has consumer unit/fusebox as shown in the attached picture. I would be really grateful if someone could just quickly explain what could potentially go wrong (in terms blown fuses), what I would need to fix the problem, and how I would fix it, please.

I can see the 5 'cartridges' to the right. So...

- if something was to blow - would it be one of those 5 'cartridges', or is there some other fuse in the pictue that could potentially blow?
- the previous owner has kindly left some 5, 15 and 30 Amp fusewire, so is this all I would need to sort the problem, or are there some other spares that I should have?
- assuming it's one of those 'cartridges' that would blow, is it a case of pulling it out, opening it up, and using the fusewire to fix it?

I appreciate these are probably stupid questions to many of you, but everyone has got to start somewhere.

Many thanks,

Attachments

• image20231008_155706850.jpg
    image20231008_155706850.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 114
Sponsored Links
If a fuse blows, switch off the main switch and pull out the fuse holder, you will find a melted fuse wire inside the fuse holder, held in place by two screws. Undo the two screws to release the fuse wire, clean out the cavity in the fuse holder which will contain bits of melted wire, fit new fuse wire of the appropriate size (the size is embossed into the front of the fuse holder), refit fuse holder and switch the main switch back on.

You could pull one out to see what it looks like when it hasn't blown so that you know what you are aiming at, but always switch off the main switch before pulling out the fuse holder.

You are missing a lid from the fuse box on the right, it would cover the fuse holders and be held in place by a screw which fits into that hole above the fuse holders where the red and blue fuse holders meet.

The whole lot is well overdue for replacement with something much more modern. I would make that a priority.

These 1696784157834.pngare still available at about £22 a pop, however I would agree with @pcaouolte over due for upgrade. The same box went from rewire-able fuses to cartridge fuses to MCB's but never moved to the RCBO we use today, seems you do have a 30 mA RCD but all goes through one RCD so when I moved in here with the same system within 6 months changed to all RCBO's and SPD.

if someone could just quickly explain what could potentially go wrong
Shorts circuits or overloads will result in a fuse blowing. Repair means getting ye olde fusewire out and installing a new piece into whichever one has failed.

If there is a fault between L&E or N&E on any circuit, then the device in the centre with the red and green buttons will trip, disconnecting everything until that fault is found and repaired.

In other news, the whole lot is obsolete and should have been replaced a couple of decades ago.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all. I think I know what I would need todo now.
I will also bear in mind that I should be getting it all upgraded ASAP.

Thanks all. I think I know what I would need todo now.
I will also bear in mind that I should be getting it all upgraded ASAP.

If you have just moved in then this really should be your first job to get done, just in case more remedial work is identified, which could mean floors up etc.

Also bear in mind that ANY changes to the existing circuits will require the fuseboard upgrade plus earthing and bonding checks too

Can i just add . Not only should you turn off the main switch before removing the fuses but once replaced with a new fusewire you should refit the fuse cover before switching back on again. This can be important because if there is still a fault present and the fuse blows once more then bits of molten fuse can come hurtling out and your skin or eyes can be damaged. Not nice.
As said it would be an improvement in that respect to replace all the fuses for MCBs in the first instance because they usually THWACK rather than a bloody great BANG that fuses can do.
Wholesalers or say B&Q will no doubt have the type of MCBs that replace rewireable fuses.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back