Wax dots on fuse?

Softus said:
Well, the problem is that most people sell their properties and have family living there and people visiting. You can risk your own life, but Part P serves to protect those around you.

Ahh, OK, excellent - so one of the other reasons for Part P, aside from the laudable aim to protect us from cowboy "electricians", was also to protect the general public from people doing work on their own homes and risking other folks lives. So...with that in mind I guess there are some figures somewhere to back this up, both pre-Part P to explain its application to householders working on their own property, and post-Part P that shows its success in this respect?

I agree that you can't please all of the people all of the time, but that it in itself is no argument for blanket application of legislation. As I said previously, I understand that these are difficult scales to balance, but that doesn't mean that they can't be balanced in a better way.

Sponsored Links
c128 said:
Ahh, OK, excellent - so one of the other reasons for Part P, aside from the laudable aim to protect us from cowboy "electricians", was also to protect the general public from people doing work on their own homes and risking other folks lives.
If you say so, but I said that it serves to protect, not that this was an aim.

So...with that in mind I guess there are some figures somewhere to back this up, both pre-Part P to explain its application to householders working on their own property, and post-Part P that shows its success in this respect?
You may guess if you're so inclined. I prefer never to either guess or assume.

I agree that you can't please all of the people all of the time, but that it in itself is no argument for blanket application of legislation.
Please name one piece of legislation that applies to some people and not others. (I have a small private bet with myself on the one you're going to choose.)

As I said previously, I understand that these are difficult scales to balance, but that doesn't mean that they can't be balanced in a better way.
By all means go for it. Send a suggestion to your MP. Alternatively just bleat ineffectually on an Internet forum.

Softus said:
[Well, the problem is that most people sell their properties and have family living there and people visiting. You can risk your own life, but Part P serves to protect those around you. If you live alone in a detached house, without visitors, and never sell it, then Part P has dealt you a poor hand, but that's the nature of legislation - you can't please all of the people all of the time.
That is the problem of the man purchasing the house.

It's a sad day when the government starts to interfere so much in what we do in out own homes. I call it protection for tradesmen, and don't believe that protectionist measures have any place in business.

Well, it's fair to say that I'm new to this forum, although I've now just taken the time to scan back over your past postings Softus. Not something I realise I can now be bothered with - my mistake.

To the OP - apologies, wayyy off-topic, and partly my fault.

Wax fuses you say...mmm...

Sponsored Links
Softus said:
Scotland......appear to be having their cake and eating it.

Maybe, but take comfort in the fact that they're all burnt.

aaronb said:
It's a sad day when the government starts to interfere so much in what we do in out own homes.
There's no restriction on what you can do to the electrics in your own home. Part P merely requires you to notify your LABC about certain work. You have to do the work safely of course, but that's true of more than just electrics, and has little to do with Part P.

I call it protection for tradesmen, and don't believe that protectionist measures have any place in business.
Well you'd be better in the business of making corn dollies then.

Softus said:
I call it protection for tradesmen, and don't believe that protectionist measures have any place in business.
Well you'd be better in the business of making corn dollies then.

But even then, you need product liability insurance should someone choke on your merchandise.....

Softus said:
c128 said:
BTW, I'm pretty sure that Scotland is connected to the England and Wales national grid, so they appear to be having their cake and eating it.

I wouldn't go down that road, they are a net exporter of electricity, oil, whisky and PM's :D

Jaymack said:
Softus said:
BTW, I'm pretty sure that Scotland is connected to the England and Wales national grid, so they appear to be having their cake and eating it.
I wouldn't go down that road, they are a net exporter of electricity, oil, whisky and PM's :D
So which is it: England and Wales's national grid, or Scotland's? :confused:

And, regardless of that, bearing in mind that the buckets of electricity are the same type, which has the better safety regulations?

Surely if they have melted there must be a fault leading to overheating - unless you understand it, I'd have it checked out!

Is that John FatGit? Too rainy for croquet today then?

If you look back at the thread you will find that the overheating thing was flagged to Tom right at the beginning.

Since then the girls have been too busy throwing their Part P handbags at each other so i expect Tom has given up in disgust!

Taylortwocities said:
Since then the girls have been too busy throwing their Part P handbags at each other so i expect Tom has given up in disgust!
Ooh, and you were so close to not sinking to our level. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back