Burnt out fuse

To all those who responded thanks very much for the advice as I was just going to put in this 32 amp fuse and wash away, but managed to get hold of a friend of a friend who said the same ,,,,,,DO NOT PUT THAT IN and he will check it out for me tomorrow,,,,,,,hate to think of what could have happened to my family if I never got any advice from you guys/gals ,,,,,, once again THANKS again

Sponsored Links
DESL said:
Johnboy

There is obviously something wrong as fuse has burnt out you need to get this sorted out before you look at replacing fuse with a breaker.
It might be a fault with shower, cable or sounds like a loose connection in fuse holder.

As for family pressure tell them they must have a death wish!!

I don't like saying it but you need to call an electrician

It sounds like something beyond the knowledge of the OP, so why do you not like recommending he calls in a spark. The fuse blows when a fault occurs. Withiout seeing the installation it's guesswork as to what caused the fault.

Desl ,,its only a small bathroom and never had a bath when we bought it justa stand up shower.....I will try to convince to my daughter that wearing dads after shave is the new fad :D :D :D :D :D

Some Tritons have the kW rating on a sticker underneath, or else a sticker inside the shower unit.

Sponsored Links
newspark_paul

I don't like saying call in a spark as I'm a spark myself and it sometimes seems to be a stock answer on these fora and can sound like we (sparks) are toting fopr business for our trade.

Sometimes you can tell by the questions posted on here whether you should give advice or not

A shower circuit should not be protected by a BS3036 semi-enclosed rewirable fuse as it derates the current carrying capacity of the cable. The plug-in mini trip will be safer after the circuit is checked and tested by a competant electrician.

streetlighter said:
A shower circuit should not be protected by a BS3036 semi-enclosed rewirable fuse as it derates the current carrying capacity of the cable. The plug-in mini trip will be safer after the circuit is checked and tested by a competant electrician.

When selecting a cable the protective device is taken into account with correction factors. Providing this has been done, a BS3036 is fine.
The max efli for a BS3036 semi-enclosed fuse in some circuits can be higher than the max elfi for an MCB so will need checked as part of the commisioning procedure for the circuit.

DESL said:
newspark_paul

I don't like saying call in a spark as I'm a spark myself and it sometimes seems to be a stock answer on these fora and can sound like we (sparks) are toting fopr business for our trade.

Sometimes you can tell by the questions posted on here whether you should give advice or not

I would say that questions regarding burnt out fuses should be diverted to a spark on the ground. The fuse blows under fault conditions and these can only be determined locally. Wasn'thaving a go at you.

JOHNBOY42 said:
...young daughter seems to spend forever in the shower despite my moaning...

Then you're just not moaning hard enough.

Everybody has omitted to mention the other obvious solution... replace the faulty daughter... ;)

With deference to the qualified electricians here didn't the OP say the fuse holder was burnt, not that the fuse had blown and these indicate entirely different faults.

Also there was a time that showers COULD be fitted on re-wirable fuses (I owned a house that had one when we moved in and fitted one in another (to 15th Edition). The OPs shower may be that old - he doesnt know. Just because the regs change the installed base does not automatically get upgraded, nor does it become illegal - or does it?

While it is correct to advise him that the fuse may be overloaded the fact that it has been in use for at least 18 months indicates that it is not (although there may be a fault with the shower causing a recent overload. What is more likely is the suggestion from a couple of posters of a loose wire / poor fuse carrier contact at the fuse holder in the CU which will probably mean a replacement (which will need to meet current regs!) Not something I would suggest the OP undertakes unless he is confident taking the cover off the CU.

Stands back and waits for bombardment

dingbat said:
JOHNBOY42 said:
...young daughter seems to spend forever in the shower despite my moaning...

Then you're just not moaning hard enough.

Everybody has omitted to mention the other obvious solution... replace the faulty daughter... ;)

Move the isolator outside the shower room.

Optional add an additional fixed shower head connected to mains cold water supply via a stop cock fitted outside shower room.

I have two daughters that have flown the nest. We had a double sized hot water tank fitted.

Maybe you could get a 50p-in-the-slot meter fitted outside the bathroom door?

my cousin used to stay at my grandad's house an awful lot, and my grandad would get fed up with him using all the hot water from the cylinder, so he would go upstairs and turn off the hot water from the cylinder and listen for my cousin jumping out of the shower :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back