re-wiring a shower

the cross section is 6mm which is rated up to 38amp, there is a rcd, the fuse box unit has been replaced recentley the old one was a 32 amp fuse and so is the new one (so two different sparkys have installed them) the run is appox 15m from fusebox to iisolation switch then approx 3m from switch to shower
the shower has been installed about 2 years the wiring about 8 hope this helps

Sponsored Links
the cross section is 6mm which is rated up to 38amp
35A if in an insulated wall but with one side touching a thermally conductive surface.

32A if installed in conduit in an insulated wall but with one side of the conduit touching a thermally conductive surface.

23.5A if completely surrounded by insulation.

the run is appox 15m from fusebox to iisolation switch then approx 3m from switch to shower
OK for voltage drop.

so how can i extend the wires by a foot without ripping the entire bathroom to bits if 30amp connectors arent any good

Sponsored Links
That's the wrong sort of crimp tool.

You need one like this:

But 30A is not the end of the line for choc-block, it goes up to 60A at least. Gets a bit big though....

:confused:

just been on the blower with a local sparky he said the best way to go is to extent the wire at the switch end using a 30amp juction box and pull some wire thru at shower end if i cant do that to use 30amp connectors at the shower end and tape them up to make sure no water can get in can any of you give me your thoughts and recomendations on this please

Back to basics on this:

Co-Ordination between conductor & protective device

In = current setting of device - circuit breaker

Ib = design current of circuit (shower rating divided by voltage)

Iz = current carrying capacity of conductors

Ib < In < Iz

The shower is 8.5 kw which gives 35.4 to 37 amps so the fuse needs to be above this or at worst equal to this not below, at present it is 32 amps so the fuse is being overloaded.
It won't trip as the current isn't high enough to trip it but it is being overloaded.

The fuse needs to be 40 amps IMO the cable supplying the cable is below this so needs upgrading to 10mm that's what I'd do personally.

I'm not sure why any sparky is advising you to use a 30amp junction box for a shower that uses more current than it's rating.

At least there is an RCD present but when was this last checked, Pablo it should be tested quarterly at worst for mechanical operation

Shoot me down any of you that are more experienced

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back