Burnt out fuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My electric shower stopped working and when I checked the fuse and holder was all melted and burnt,this was a 30amp fuse and I could only get a 32amp with a mini breaker as a emergency ( family pressure) will this be ok as permanent solution or will I have to revert to a 30 amp....not sure what the kw on the shower is??.............thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
forgot to add,its the old type fuses with the prongs and 2 coloured dots

Johnboy

There is obviously something wrong as fuse has burnt out you need to get this sorted out before you look at replacing fuse with a breaker.
It might be a fault with shower, cable or sounds like a loose connection in fuse holder.

As for family pressure tell them they must have a death wish!!

I don't like saying it but you need to call an electrician

No, it really need an electrician to have a look at it pronto.
Depending on the kW size of the shower will depend on your MCB, size of cable etc.

Sponsored Links
im pretty sure the mcbs have a quicker disconnect time than the 3036. it really depends on a lot of factors, cable sizing et al...

Thanks for the reply but forgrot to add it only apppeared to burnt out at the bottom of the fuse where the feed is??

There are alarm bells ringing here!!

Rewireable fuses on shower circuit - Is there an RCD?

Why has the fuse holder melted and burnt out?

No it never had a rcd ,been in the house 18 months and this is the first time i have had any problems so its only just come to my notice,but young daughter seems to spend forever in the shower despite my moaning,,,,,,, I work with a spark and he is away until next week,,,,will this 32 amp fuse with a mini circuit breaker do until he is back or just leave it off until then.

If a 30 amp fuse has burnt out then I'd refrain from putting a bigger size untill you find out the power output of the shower and since it should be isolated now check that all connections are tight and the double pull cord switch is ok - that's if it has one!

Thats what mine looked like, just looked at the shower and its a triton jade but still not sure waht the kw is,could this be a case of overload and how do I resolve it,just phoned the old owner up and he said the cable is 6mm

just leave it off until then

Seriously - I think this is yours and your daughters safest option

Better to be smelly and alive........

JOHNBOY42 said:
Thanks for the reply but forgrot to add it only apppeared to burnt out at the bottom of the fuse where the feed is??

Suggests a hot spot in the connection ( screw loose) or the lower pin / socket (worn spring / corroded metal ) of the fuse holder.

Wise move

Does you're daughter shave then and haven't got a bath?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back