Plug in fuses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm sorry to waste everyone's time but just want to double check. I'm looking to purchase some plug in wylex fuses to fit into the slots my current fuses fit. At the moment my two ring main fuses and cooker fuse are 30 amp fuses. Is it ok to replace these with 32amp fuses as i can't seem to find any wylex plug in 30amp fuses.

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I'm sorry to waste everyone's time but just want to double check. I'm looking to purchase some plug in wylex fuses to fit into the slots my current fuses fit. At the moment my two ring main fuses and cooker fuse are 30 amp fuses. Is it ok to replace these with 32amp fuses as i can't seem to find any wylex plug in 30amp fuses.

thanks in advance
Why?

If you have a fusebox that takes rewireable fuses you need a periodic inspection report. The wiring may be of a certain age . . .

By fitting MCBs you're making it no safer, it'll just trip quicker if something overloads. Your sockets still have no RCD protection and its still not to current regs.

I've got a box load of them in my garage, god alone knows why I keep them when I rip boards out.

Tell me about it. I've got a couple of large boxes full of assorted old MCB's of all shapes and sizes. Have been known to come in handy, but given the drive towards RCD protection on everything now, requiring new units rather than an appropriately sized mcb, I'm thinking I might as well bin the lot.

not to be pedantic but. would that job be notifiable? I dont know.

You are changing the circuit characteristics, for the better i know, but is it?

It would be notifiable, but as already stated, changing the fuses to plug in MCBs is pointless anyway.

The usual reason people consider these is because their fuses need replacing often and moving a switch is quicker and more convienient than replacing the fuse wire.
However - fuses needing to be replaced often is just a symptom of other more serious problems.

It would be notifiable, but as already stated, changing the fuses to plug in MCBs is pointless anyway.

The usual reason people consider these is because their fuses need replacing often and moving a switch is quicker and more convienient than replacing the fuse wire.
Another reason I fear is mis understanding that a plug in MCB provides equivalent protection to a modern new CU. It doesn't, 'cos there's no RCD. Your average Joe doesn't know the difference (hence all the posts by DIYers saying their "mainswitch" has tripped - they dont know why or what it does)

One of about 3 boxes... Worthless junk or potential gold?

I suppose you could replace some of those old mcb's on a like-for-like "emergency" fix. But then they'll be in my garage when I'm miles away and in desperate need cos it's 6pm and mrs so-an-so's 30 year old dorman-smith 100A isolater has a toasty tail.

I recon the box brownie camera you took the picture with is worth more hairyben.

I would say that any Dorman gear you have is worth a penny or two

The 17th edition has changed things a fair old bit on the domestic scene, so I doubt I'll be re-using any of my old breaker collection there.

I do intend to keep and possibly use my collection of Dorman Smith MCCB's (even if I do hate the things!) and my collection of Federal Stablok MCB's, oh yes, I've got some gold dust!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back