Old Fireplace replacing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am converting on old fireplace hearth in a kitchen to hold a range cooker. Presently the hearth has a concrete lintel at the front which i would like to remove and replace with oak timber beam. As i want to see the beam underneath as well as in front i don't want just a false floating beam attached at the front but replace it with a large 7" x 7" oak beam. Is this allowed in the building regs? The span is approx 46".

Sponsored Links
I'm sorry to see you didn't get any replies to your post. I'm also wanting to do exactly the same thing. Do you manage to do what you suggested. Did the range cooker dry/move the oak very much once it was all up and running?

An oak beam can withstand the heat of a roaring fire or woodburner so I would have thought a cooker is not going to have any adverse effect on it. Unless you have a lot of chip pan fires.

Sponsored Links
As always, it'll depend on how far the oak beam is away from the fire/cooker. It will need to be well seasoned first to make sure there is no further shrinkage after it's in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back