Old Flavel cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Flavel diana 4 +s gas cooker has worked perfectly for years but has now got a problem with the oven not firing up fully until about 10 to 15 minutes have passed !
Please can anyone suggest what the fault could be ?

Many thanks
Jon

Sponsored Links
That must be an old un ! never heard of it and I used to be employed to fix flavel appliances amongst other things !

That must be an old un ! never heard of it and I used to be employed to fix flavel appliances amongst other things !

Its from the 80s ! But still working well apart from the "slow" warm up with the oven. Any ideas ?

There is a "phial" that sits in the main oven burner flame. This component is part of the "Flame safety device".
It looks like a small stretched pear, approximately 3cm in length with a diameter of about 0.5 cm with a thing caplilliary pipe (1mm in diameter) which looks like a thin wire coming out of one end of it
When this phial is heated up, a valve inside the flame safety device opens up and allows the full force of the gas to come through.

So when working correctly, you will initally start with a very small flame that then rises to a full flame after a short period of time.

If its taking the length of time you state its taking then there are 2 possible reasons

1) The "phial" isn't getting hot enough quickly enough which will be caused by blockages in the oven burner or the "Phial" has been knocked out of place during cleaning, eg the burner is blocked and there is no flame under it.
2) The Flame safety device is on its way out and will need replacing.

You will need a gas safe registered engineer to replace the "F.S.D"

Sponsored Links
Hi Terox, Thankyou very much for your advice, Are you familiar with the Flavel Diana of 1980 ? I have cleaned the burner and Safety device but still have the fault. Do you know where I can get a new Device ?
Thans very much again for your time
Jon

There is a "phial" that sits in the main oven burner flame. This component is part of the "Flame safety device".
It looks like a small stretched pear, approximately 3cm in length with a diameter of about 0.5 cm with a thing caplilliary pipe (1mm in diameter) which looks like a thin wire coming out of one end of it
When this phial is heated up, a valve inside the flame safety device opens up and allows the full force of the gas to come through.

So when working correctly, you will initally start with a very small flame that then rises to a full flame after a short period of time.

If its taking the length of time you state its taking then there are 2 possible reasons

1) The "phial" isn't getting hot enough quickly enough which will be caused by blockages in the oven burner or the "Phial" has been knocked out of place during cleaning, eg the burner is blocked and there is no flame under it.

Flavel are now owned by Beko, you could start there. I doubt the part will be available anymore but you never know and No, I dont know that particular appliance. Good luck with it.

If you can get a good look at the FSD it may have a manufacturers mark on it. The Diamond H ones used too. (Diamond H is no longer trading though)

Flavel are now owned by Beko, you could start there. I doubt the part will be available anymore but you never know and No, I dont know that particular appliance. Good luck with it.

If you can get a good look at the FSD it may have a manufacturers mark on it. The Diamond H ones used too. (Diamond H is no longer trading though)

Many thanks again
Jon

The Flavel in question was made by the company now known as Rangemaster (beko only bought the names off of them so no point going to them for help), there's not a chance of getting the fsd from them, production of the Diana was stopped over 30 years ago :) there is a chance though if you can find a good local engineer that they could get a universal fsd to fit it, the Diana was a great cooker, I can understand you wanting to keep it going.

Flame Supervision Device ! not "Safety" ! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back