Old Gainsborough Shower Bar Mixer keeps running cold.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

At the moment I have a Gainbsorough shower bar mixer tap. It was already installed when we moved in over two years ago so I have no manuals etc. It is a gravity fed system with a cold water tank in loft. There is no model number on the bar and I reckon it must be around 5 years old.

It was fine for the first year (August 04 - August 05). However, during our second winter we could not get the shower warm (let alone hot) whatever we did. We tried turning the water pressure down, turned all dials on boiler up and fiddled with temperature knob endlessly but it was still freezing.

To begin with all the taps in the house were luke warm too so we knew there was a problem with our boiler. The "diaphragm" (?) was changed on boiler and it was given a good service and shower has been remarkably better for 6 months and taps very hot when turned on...but now we have got to winter again and shower is rubbish AGAIN yet taps are still boiling hot so it cant be boilers fault this time!

Any ideas of what the fault could be? Thermostat? Boiler? Should we clean thermostat cartridge? (If so..HOW?) or should we just buy new bar? (If so HOW DO WE FIT IT?) Could we do it ourselves or would we have to get in pro's?

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Danni

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back