Old gas cooker (autocrat) oven question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, a few weeks ago, I noticed that my old gas cooker oven was making a roaring noise, particularly when on a higher setting. Then yesterday, I've noticed that the flame looks uneven, and there's an additional flame appearing to the left of the section where you expect them to appear.

So, I've opened the bottom panel and taken a few picture in the hope that someone could just haave a quick look please. Before calling someone in, I'd just like to try and find out if this is something that they are likely to be able to fix/service, or whether it's something more serious. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20200524_115106[1].jpg
    IMG_20200524_115106[1].jpg
    175 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_20200524_ingition[1].jpg
    IMG_20200524_ingition[1].jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 188
Sponsored Links
Looks very like a leak on the burner! It's not an FFD (Flame failure device) heating jet as the FFD is sitting in and heated by the main burner. Not a lighting jet as the electrode is directly attached to the burner.
Not a DIY job any way my advise is to on no account use the oven until a gas safe engineer has looked at it!(n)

Looks very like a leak on the burner! It's not an FFD (Flame failure device) heating jet as the FFD is sitting in and heated by the main burner. Not a lighting jet as the electrode is directly attached to the burner.
Not a DIY job any way my advise is to on no account use the oven until a gas safe engineer has looked at it!(n)

Thanks for the info. I will take your advice. At a guess, would you think something like that would be easily/cheaply fixable (given that it's ancient and parts might be hard to come by)?

Burner is a straight swap as long as it is available a simple job for a gas fitter, a remote chance the injector port might want cleaning, but my money is on a burner.(y)

Sponsored Links
The burner is still available ........I still buy them and I've got one.

It's only held in with one screw ....its probably a fifteen minute job providing you get someone that knows what they're doing.

Burner out injector cleaned, quick check for leaks ....easily done with the burner out,new burner fitted....... bob's your uncle.

Don't use it until fixed ! As already said and don't accept anyone saying it can't be fixed maybe not by them if they say that !

I recently fixed a 60 year old cooker and last summer a eighty year old cooker all working fine and safely.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back