Old GEC Main cut out

Sponsored Links
Because you don't know what you're talking about, its called a switch fuse.
Sounds like it's being used as a cutout though.

Ureavinalarf, apart from the picture being complete nonsense, it misses out two or three sets of cable. You're description mentions four or five sets of cables.
The description mentions 4 sets.
1: the mains supply comes into the cut-out box,
2: out to the meter,
3: then back into the cut-out box from the meter
4: and out to the c/u

And HullMark's drawing shows 3 of them, so misses out 1 set, not 2 or 3.

t224408.jpg

You obviously think that 'b***s*** baffles brains' - it does'nt.
Indeed it doesn't - something you would do well to bear in mind yourself when posting.

Sponsored Links
Can you give me an example.

Because you don't know what you're talking about, its called a switch fuse.
Don't switch fuses usually have the switch upstream of the fuse, so that when off the fuse can be pulled/inserted with no live parts accessible?

It really does sound as if this item contains both a cutout and an isolator.

So you've invented a new type of lock, you call it a switch lock.
What's he invented? Interlocks on switches to prevent enclosure doors being opened without turning the switch off are commonplace.

Ureavinalarf, apart from the picture being complete nonsense, it misses out two or three sets of cable.

You're as thick as the other bloke if you think this drawing resmbles your description.

Ahem, please stop knocking my drawing. That work of art took minutes to complete.

The description mentions 4 sets.

And HullMark's drawing shows 3 of them, so misses out 1 set, not 2 or 3.

The fourth set being missed out for ease. BAS could see how it worked, I would have thought you,
As a very experienced electrician
could imagine tails to the CU from the LHS of the isolator?

To save any confusion, I've added them for you. BAS if you could be so kind to lable the new cables number 4?
2yopdly.jpg

the gist of what I was talking about (the responses even included a remarkably accurate picture).

I hear the sound of straws being clutched at.
:LOL:

Holmslaw, in your effort to sound intelligent you really are making a complete idiot of yourself.

Lets be honest, you couldn't grasp what I was talking about despite me explaining it in great detail (just for people like you). It was obvious to me and everyone else that in HullMarks picture he had omitted the final set of tails to the CU for clarity - How on earth could you think it was missing two or three sets? What is going on in your head - Do you not have even a modicum of common sense?

So thats a detailed description you got completely wrong and a very simple picture. What did you do to become a competent person in Zaire - Work in Maplins for three months!!

I wont waste time rebuffing each of your quotes in turn, as others have already highlighted that most of what you said was nonsense. Its laughable that you resort to criticising my english when you realise that your the only one who was getting it so completely wrong! This is an electrical forum isn't it? It speaks volumes that such an experienced electrician as yourself cannot offer anything at all by way of resolution to this issue.

You obviously have way too much time on your hands. My advice would be to get a life, then you wouldn't feel the need to fill up your days talking nonsense. As I said previously, if you don't understand, either don't say anything or just ask for more information (otherwise you make yourself look stupid when you jump to the wrong conclusions, don't you?).

You're as thick as the other bloke if you think this drawing resmbles your description.
Well it was neither my drawing nor my description, but never mind.

Anyway, let's examine your assertion that the diagram does not resemble the description.

t224408.jpg

Please tell me, does the diagram show, at position 1, the incoming mains supply, yes or no?

Please tell me, does the diagram show, at position 2, cables going out to the meter, yes or no?

Please tell me, does the diagram show, at position 3, cables coming back in from the meter, yes or no?

Finally, since you also said that the drawing misses out 2 or 3 sets of cables, I wonder if you can tell me which ones are missing.

This was the description, with 4 sets of cables identified:

And here is the drawing, with 3 sets of cables identified.

t2244082.jpg

Would you please tell me which of the cable sets 1-4 match one or two of A-C in the drawing? You must be able to do that as you are so sure that 2 or 3 are missing from the drawing, which means that there must be 1 or 2 not missing.

Then, for the one or two of A-C which do not match any of 1-4 in the description, could you tell me what you think they do represent? You must be able to do that as you are so sure that they don't all match ones in the description, for if they did there could not be 2 or 3 missing.

Since you haven't mentioned anything except #3, can we take it that you do agree that the drawing does show #1, the supply coming into the cut-out box and #2 tails going out to the meter?

So what does the diagram show at position A if not cables running from meter to cut-out?

Holmslaw - please stop trying to evade what are quite proper questions for you to be asked given what you have said earlier on in this topic.

Since you haven't mentioned anything except #3, can we take it that you do agree that the drawing does show #1, the supply coming into the cut-out box and #2 tails going out to the meter?

What does the diagram show at position A if not cables running from meter to cut-out?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back