Old, heavy, 1-pipe system rads - worth something to someone?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just in the process of taking out our one-pipe system rads and replacing the central heating with shiny new two-pipe rads.

So the old stuff - big, heavy single rads. Old looking valves. Is it worth trying to sell them on for "restoration" ... or just get them weighed in at a scrap yard.

There's a whole circuit of 22mm copper tube coming out too.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, everything can be recycled these days. The old cast iron rads are used by restoration yards if they're in good nick and not leaking. They'll take them.

No reason you couldn't recycle the 22mm copper (prob 3/4") in your new system unless you are using plastic.

If they are the old cast iron sectional 'school or hospital' type rads you will be better off selling them along with the valves to someone who wants to create an old fashioned look in their property.
On ebay they are currently going for roughly between about £20 and £300 depending mainly on how ornate they are and how lucky you are.

The copper would be best just weighed in for scrap. Don't forget to take your driving licence with you.

No reason you couldn't recycle the 22mm copper (prob 3/4") in your new system unless you are using plastic.

I'd advise against that, as experience has taught me that the inside of old pipework is usually coated with magnetite. This black crud will not do your new system any favours.

Sponsored Links

I'd advise against that, as experience has taught me that the inside of old pipework is usually coated with magnetite. This black crud will not do your new system any favours.

Unless you clean it out properly 1st, which any competent plumber would do I would think, when recycling old CH pipework.

Even heated power flushing and chemically cleaning really old pipe work can still leave it in a mess internally though

Thanks for the suggestions!

Re-using the old pipework is most definitely not on the agenda.

Out of interest, are you going down the plastic or copper route for the new system?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back