BIG NEW RAD

jw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just replaced a rad with a larger one on a microbore system. At the same time extended the pipework by 3m....

New Rad does not get hot at the bottom and has a cool outlet pipe.

Question ?

Is the new rad just too big (12000BTU vs 4000BTU) and should I replace with a smaller one ?

Is the 10 year old central heating pump worth replacing with a more powerful one to force a bit more water through ?

Thoughts appreciated

Sponsored Links
might just be too big

It probably needs a bigger supply pipe

Unfortunately the whole house is microbore and the majority of the feed distance is under a concete floor thus it cannot be changed. Thus assuming I need to put on a smaller RAD. Any thoughts about the difference a new pump would make ?

I think:

the pump would make it noisier and not give you the heat you need. (but I don't know if I'm right).

if you reduce the losses you could keep the smaller rad.

the bigger rad may not get so hot, but you will get the heat out of it.

put another jumper on :LOL:

Sponsored Links
why didn't you heat rate the room, just sticking the biggest rad you could find is not the way forward.

What room is it?? An all glass conservatory!!!

Heat rate the room, then match the rad to the required btu value, your system then might be able to cope!!!

"What room is it?? An all glass conservatory!!!"

Unfortunately, yes it is an all glass conservatory.....

Measuring 6.2x3m.....

Apparently it really requires a 17000BTU rad - for space and central heating rating reasons I went with the 12000BTU one....

However, without it heating to full temperature the conservatory has no chance of staying warm enough.....

As the rad is only hot at the top it seems to cool down much quicker than normal - exactly what I do NOT need.....

:eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back